We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Headin' north to North Bay

Tiny, Canada
Level Contributor
132 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Headin' north to North Bay

Hi,

My husband & I (64+) are taking my 88 year old father to North Bay on August 17th to reconnect with an old army buddy from the Second World War.

We are looking for the best possible accommodation for value, comfort and convenience.

Terrace Suites, in Calander was recommended by someone and it appealed because it offers suites with kitchenettes and two bedrooms (great idea for us!) at $135 per night but I read some not so great (trip advisor) reviews. Now I am a bit nervous about this place.

I would appreciate any information anyone can share regarding Terrace Suites or other suggestions of places to stay where the three of us can share space comfortably.

Also, the names of any nice, not too expensive restaurants would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance, CC

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Headin' north to North Bay

I can't comment on the hotel you ask about...and it's difficult to recommend hotels in North Bay....there simply aren't many nice hotels in the city...most are badly in need of refurbishing and updating and have not been updated since the 1970s...

There is one brand new Holiday Inn express and suites, so it might have the kind of suite you're looking for, if you don't mind that it is on a very busy road. ..the rooms are overlooking the busy and ugly street into the city on one side of the hotel and the Home Depot parking lot on the other side... Not a memorable view, in other words..

Inn on the Bay www.innonthebay.ca is a hotel actually in the downtown part of the city, where you can walk around downtown from the hotel

A restaurant I would recommend, one of the few in North Bay that has a pleasant view, is Average Joe's on Trout Lake Road..The food is better than most North Bay restaurants and you have a pleasant view of the lake outside the big windows...Most restaurants in North Bay look out onto ugly streets.

For breakfast, I would recommend The Magic Kettle...small place downtown where the cooks really care about what they put on your plates...beautifully cooked omelettes, french toast, pancakes with fresh fruit...far better than the other mostly greasy spoon places around the city..

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Headin' north to North Bay

SPAM…

Not only is it against the FORUMS POSTING GUIDELINES… BUT it doesn’t really work… It makes Users aware of your company’s services but in a bad-light… and more adamant about DECIDEDLY NOT USING THEM !!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
633 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Headin' north to North Bay

Curious.,..what was the spam here?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,784 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Headin' north to North Bay

Hi Steve1;

There was an ad posted as reply #2, prior to Wine-4-2's comment.

This time when TA staff deleted the post, they did not leave the usual placard in it's place, which make Wine-4-2's comment look odd.

The user had posted the same self promotional advertising a number of times, aka "spam".

Best Regards

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Headin' north to North Bay

TO STEVE1,

RE - SPAM

RESCUE TEAM is right the post appeared in slot # 2... and has since been removed (entirely) no placard stating why from the TA Owls (Moderators)... so in this case my Reply # 3 moved up a slot... became of the full DELETE. If I recall correctly it was an "ad" for some North Bay Internet Service Provider etc.

Tacky.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Edited: 28 August 2010, 16:50
6. Re: Headin' north to North Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2011, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about North Bay