We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or card and weather

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Cash or card and weather
Save

Hi all hope you are well? We are coming to Banff from UK for a week commencing 3rd February .. is it advisable to bring cash rather than use a Bank card? Can we use our Uk bank cards to pay for things. Also we are looking at the weather reports and can’t see that far ahead in uk.. not reliably anyway.. any idea what the forecast is? Thanks in advance 😊

8 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
40,853 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Cash or card and weather
Save

As for the weather: as allover in the world the forecast only is a bit reliable for 2 or maybe 3 days. And in the mountains even this short time the weather could change. But in February it would be cold. Even during the day only around freezing. And the weather statistic says it is about 10 days with snow (or rain).

Don't bring cash, this is the most expensive way. You can almost everything pay with your creditcard or bankcard. And many take a fery few cash out of any ATM.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
34,218 posts
130 reviews
189 helpful votes
2. Re: Cash or card and weather
Save

You can't reliably know what the weather will be a week ahead. The long term forecasts can give you an idea of the trend, but they are often wrong on the timing of a new weather system (whether that's cold weather or precipitation or whatever). Here is the Weather Network's 14-day forecast for Banff, showing some cooler weather (but still quite nice, compared to what it could be!) coming in around the time you arrive:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/14-day-weather-trend/alberta/banff?from7day=1

This is the other weather site I usually check, although it doesn't go as far into the future with its forecasting: https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-49_metric_e.html You can look up historical weather there, though - look for the link at the bottom right of the webpage.

By "bank card", do you mean a debit card (to withdraw cash at an ATM) or a credit card? You should be able to use both; I have used my debit card to withdraw cash at ATMs in the UK and many other countries, however, I am not so sure I have ever used it directly for payment. At an ATM, you just have to look for the network logo (Cirrus, Interac etc.), matching the one on the back of your card. One thing to double check, with either a debit card or a credit card, is whether your bank/card issuer will charge you extra fees for out-of-country usage. The host bank's ATM will charge you a fee to withdraw cash - which will be disclosed at the top and you will have to agree to it to continue, so you will likely want to maximize your withdrawals rather than taking out many smaller withdrawals.

Edited: 28 January 2024, 22:33
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,382 posts
147 reviews
135 helpful votes
3. Re: Cash or card and weather
Save

If you have a forex fee free card, that will be the best thing to use for your entire trip. Even a regular credit card will work quite fine. Card is king here in Canada.

What forecast are you looking at? For skiing in the Rockies? For site seeing? You can get a very general idea a week a head, but as mentioned, 2-3 days before, it becomes more certain.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
4. Re: Cash or card and weather
Save

Hi all thankyou for your responses .. we are hoping for cold and snow we come from a rainy wales .. fingers crossed .. thanks again all ☺️

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
17,882 posts
36 reviews
96 helpful votes
5. Re: Cash or card and weather
Save

Not sure if you’ve seen this site with live webcams for Banff and Lake Louise.

https://www.banfflakelouise.com/weather-webcams?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAk9itBhASEiwA1my_6zzxF4_DWrnncbP3WM7J_1XbkZziYGr9i_aFEbUqiK9PymLPENJd3BoCCoQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Be careful what you wish for re cold. We are just on the bounce out of a cold snap with temps in the -20’s and lower.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,382 posts
147 reviews
135 helpful votes
6. Re: Cash or card and weather
Save

Rockies last week, in some parts saw -40’sC…PLUS windchill. Now we are seeing around 0C to +5 in the Rockies now. You will always have the full on snow feel when here, so no worries there.

We live in the world of extremes now.

Saitama, Japan
Level Contributor
426 posts
107 reviews
54 helpful votes
7. Re: Cash or card and weather
Save

Heading to Banff in August and I still have a considerable amount off CAD in cash leftover from my last trip. Can I pay everything in cash (restaurants, shops, accommodation) rather than by credit cards?

Thanks.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
17,882 posts
36 reviews
96 helpful votes
8. Re: Cash or card and weather
Save

Of course you can use cash, but hotels and car rentals will want a credit card for security.

You need to book hotels ASAP, you are coming during the busiest peak month.

Edited: 23 February 2024, 02:18
Reply to: Cash or card and weather
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Banff National Park
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.