We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!

1 post
1 review
Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!

As I am writing this, I am sitting in our condo rental in Rocky Point. My wife and I went out to get breakfast and were stopped twice by these crooked a$$holes. They made up infractions and required bribes. The first stop, one of the officers unstrapped his gun in a threatening manner and said that if a fine wasn't paid we woiuld have some "very bad problems". I have been coming to Rocky Point for over 25 years and have NEVER had any issues. My wife is scared out of her mind that we are going to end up being hurt, so after the second time today, we are packing it up and heading home with another 4 days paid for our condo. This is the last time we visit Rocky Point. It was good while it lasted. I would recommend any place but here unless you want to be treated like a criminal by the biggest criminals of all. Thanks Rocky Point PD.

210 replies to this topic
Arizona
Level Contributor
272 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!

Really?! This terrifies me. We were in rocky point 2 years ago and all went well. Wanting to return with our 3 young children but even a little something like this is too much. I just don't know!

Guaymas, Mexico
Level Contributor
672 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!

Did they want you to go to the police station (the correct approach) or never mention that and just insist you pay them money? Were they for sure made up infractions or could you unintentionally have violated the law? We had a person incensed about a speed violation that had not realized the speed was in kilometers per hour not miles. This kind of thing can kill tourism and I am just trying to ensure there was not a mix-up. It does not sound like it but a little more information would be helpful.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!

Am going next week! Are you near town, on the outskirts... ? Where do I need to avoid?

Long Beach...
1 post
2 reviews
4. Re: Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!

Maybe Try a cab or urber. there are corrup cops in Mexico

Canton of Basel...
Level Contributor
56 posts
55 reviews
5. Re: Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!

So the OP has one post and one review...and hasn't responded to any of the questions asked in this thread. I don't know whether to believe it or not.

OP, if you see this post, can you respond please. Thanks.

4 posts
6. Re: Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!

I just got robbed of over $300 by the corrupt Puerto Penasco (Rocky Pt.) cops. He was going to take my 18k bracelet but thought it must have been plate so he didn't. I'll never return. My hosts at Hospedaje Mulege were kind but could not help much.

In the future if I want to go to the beach I'll go to Hawaii, Panama, Costa Rica or Florida. Mexico is not worth the stress, bribes and hassles.

Guaymas, Mexico
Level Contributor
672 posts
37 reviews
7. Re: Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!

Brian, could you give us a few more specifics? Were you in your car and stopped by police or walking on the street? Etc.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!

It's a shame to hear about all the bad things that happens to all the new T/A members and first time posters.

Guaymas, Mexico
Level Contributor
672 posts
37 reviews
9. Re: Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!

Yes. Please if you are going to post about an unpleasant or illegal incident. Stay and be willing to answer questions. Otherwise, it is hard to take you seriously when it seems like a one off incident or perhaps not true at all.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
47 reviews
10. Re: Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!

We've been driving our RV to RP for years and never have trouble. Watch your speed when driving thru Sonoyta just south of border crossing at Lukeville, after that it's a piece of cake. I also wonder about these first time posts....

Reply to: Corrupt Police in Rocky Point. BEWARE!!!!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Penasco