We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
73 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar

I am hesitant as to whether book a room for New Years Vacation either on Playa Grande Resort or Villa del Plamar. Can you give me advise on which hotel provides the best beach experience and best location to get around…

Thank you

14 replies to this topic
Greenwood, Indiana
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar

Playa Grande is in a great location, 10 minute walk to the marina, but you can not swim in the ocean at Playa Grande. you can lay out at the beach but no swimming.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar

Both resorts are excellent and are in great locations. Both are relatively far from CSL itself (10-15 minutes) so you’ll have to walk or taxi it into town.

The beach at PG is unswimmable due to the shorebreak the swimmable beaches on Medano Beach on which VDP is located is what you want.

If you want to be closer to the town and have a great beach experience I recommend Breathless, Hacienda Club Residences, and Casa Dorada.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar

It depends on what type of beach experience you want. If you want huge, crashing waves that are lovely to watch and hear on a more secluded beach, then Playa Grande is for you. If you want to be on a beach that is close to the "action" and can rent jet skis, parasail, walk to beach bars, then Palmar fits that bill. The beach at Palmar is SOMETIMES safe to swim in, but a quick walk down the beach towards the marina puts you in the middle of Medano, which is almost always safe for swimming and is where several beach bars are, too. Playa Grande is a step up in amenities IMO. Have fun whichever you decide on!

United States
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar

"Playa Grande is a step up in amenities IMO".....BeachLoverfromLA

I agree with the above. I'm going to guess Trip Advisor guests feel relatively the same size Villa del Palmar is rated #37 of 75 hotels in Cabo while Playa Grande gets #16. I doubt it's an option for New Years but Villa del Palmar is frequently available at a steep discount on GroupOn.com

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,102 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar

I have not been to Cabo over New Years (too crowded!) but I think there are fireworks visible from Medano Beach. So that's one 'point' for the Villa del Palmar. But you could make reservations for a beach bar dinner w/ viewing.

I think Playa Grande is a closer walk to town. But the public bus from the VDP is about a dollar and fairly quick.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,839 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar

I am another one that finds the sound of the Pacific waves crashing on the shore a very relaxing sound, and I also like that Solmar Beach has no vendors. I can walk to town in probably 15 mins., which I love. I haven't been there for New Years, but I'm going to guess that along with the fireworks from Medano, PG and GS and possibly Finisterra may also have fireworks, and they will definitely have some sort of New Year celebration. I have only stayed on Medano Beach once-at Casa Dorada, and while it was a lovely stay, my personal preference is the quieter Solmar Beach-so it really boils down to personal choices. Enjoy! Where ever you are, it will be a grand way to bring in the New Year!

Van Nuys, CA
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar

The fireworks from Medano Beach are amazing.

We stayed at PG last NY and there was a party held at The Ridge. You can see fireworks from the Ridge.

San Salvador, El...
Level Contributor
73 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar

Thank you for all your suggestion and tips. From all your responses, I leaned a bit more towards Playa Grande since it seems from your comments that its facilities are better tnan those of Villa Palamar.

My husband and I are beach lovers. We like to sunbath and get into the ocean to freshen up. When you say that the Beach at Playa grande is not swimmable, it means you cannot get into the ocean at all? We come from a country whose big on surf and waves, and are not afraid of an ocean with crashing waves. But a hotel with a beach where you cannot get into the ocean, or even worse, where is not permitted to get in, would certainly be a deal breaker for us.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,102 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar

Then don't go to Playa Grande. It's the kind of 'unswimmable' where you don't walk near the water. There are stories of folks standing with their back to the ocean to pose for a photo when a big wave comes up and sucks them out to sea. Usually the bodies are found. Usually.

Villa del Palmar is definitely not as nice as Playa Grande. Would you consider other resorts? Why only those two?

Have you read the relevant information in the Top Questions on the right?

United States
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar

There's not a law that says you can't get in. I can't speak for New Years but the last couple ties we've went (in March & November), the shore breaking waves were thundering. Nobody in their right mind would think about going in the water. The problem is the unseen undertow and strong currents that pull you out away from the shore. Almost every year, unsuspecting people get sucked in by a rogue wave and drowned in the ocean. Admittedly, they *usually* seem to be older folks.

All that being said, I've never been in Cabo and not seen somebody in the water at some point during our stay. We stray at the Grand Solmar which is very close to Playa Grande so same ocean, same conditions. I saw photos just yesterday on Facebook where there were people in the water out in front of the hotel. he water & surf looked very below. There are also frequently some local's (in their 20's I presume) that come out near Land's End to skim-board. I see the OP is from Australia so it's quite possible that they are extremely capable ocean-goers as well but doing so will be at your own risk because there are no lifeguards and help will take a while to come for you.

You can stay at Playa Grande, walk 5-7 minutes to the marina to catch a water taxi and be dropped off at Medano Beach shortly thereafter to frolic in the water to your hearts content. That's what we do....but I just stand in the water and drink. ;)

Reply to: Playa grande resort or Villa del Palmar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted