We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shambala Petit Hotel

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Shambala Petit Hotel

Hi,

Has anyone stayed at Shambala Petit Hotel or Posada Lamar Posada Del Sol. Im really torn between the three. Does anyone have pictures of the rooms in Shambala? Are there any good resturants around Shambala? We dont have a car so Im a little worried about the resturants since all of these hotels dont have restuarants.

Thanks

LInda

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Shambala Petit Hotel

If you email Roberto at Shambala - he should send you some pix.

But there are better restaurant choices near Posada Lamar and Posada del Sol....all w/in easy walking distance.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,274 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Shambala Petit Hotel

Ditto what Pepper said about the restaurants. I would just also point out that Posada del Sol is in the sort of central hotel zone (not an official designation) where the beaches are smaller and bordered by rocky outcroppings. Posada Lamar and Shambala are both on the vast expanse of beach to the south where you can walk for miles with no rocks to speak of.

Lamar is literally right next to Playa Kin-Ha (beachy restaurant/bar) and Posada Margarita (high-end Italian but very good), and easy walking distance to Hemingway. A little farther but still reachable is Zamas.

At Shambala the restaurant choices are a little more slim, and that, to me, is about the only drawback to their location, which is otherwise spectacular (and those beach beds are so great). You'd be going to Esmeralda K to the south (or farther down to Tita Tulum or other individual places), or Los Lirios, Cabanas Tulum or Ana y Jose to the north, but they're a bit of a walk.

They're all beautiful places, and you'd have a great time no matter where you go, but you have to base a decision on something, right?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Shambala Petit Hotel

Thanks!

We're thinking of staying at shambala and renting a bike so that we can get to those resturants more easily. Do you think that would solve the problem? How safe is it to lock up our bikes around tulum? Which ruins and cenotes are a must to visit? How far is nachos from shambala? Like 3 km?

Linda

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,274 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Shambala Petit Hotel

I've never actually rented bikes, hopefully someone will post who has. My concern would be riding them home after darkness falls. It's very dark on the beach road, and drivers might not be able to see you, not to mention you not being able to see the road or topes (speedbumps) in front of you unless the moon is strong. My plan (if I end up not getting a car) was going to be walking to restaurants in the early evening, then taking cabs back, but it would be a heck of a long walk from Shambala to someplace like Nachos (I'd say about 4 k?).

You might check out the map at bill-in-tulsa.com--very helpful.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,360 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Shambala Petit Hotel

Holly has pointed out that all bikes that are rented have to be back at the shop before dark.

Lots of people hitch-hike along the beach road. We're always picking up people. Also...you can talk to others staying in your hotel and see if they'll carpool you.

Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
6. Re: Shambala Petit Hotel

Having just stayed at Posada Lamar in January, I can tell you that it is a place with great aesthetics, and really nice owners. Highly recommended, and good location (we didn't have a car, and two kids, so walkable places was key).

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
7,274 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Shambala Petit Hotel

Hi, AimeeF! So glad you hear you had a good stay at Lamar, since I'm going in a few weeks (less than three now!).

Are you going to post a report (with lots of pictures of the rooms and beach area, I hope!) on the review section of the site here? I'd love to see more pictures of Lamar, so if you're not going to be doing a full report, perhaps you'd be willing to share some of them with me? Let me know and I'll send you my e-mail address.

Oh, and how was the food and drinks at Kin-Ha? I expect I'll be eating there a lot.

Thanks!

miami
1 post
8. Re: Shambala Petit Hotel

I just returned from Tulum and I stayed at Shambala Petit.

It was 7 days in paradise. The owner, Roberto, makes sure your every need is met and can advise you on everything local.

They normally serve just breakfast, because I attended a retreat there they served 3 delicious meals a day during my stay.

The walk to midway (which is a little town situated "midway" between the hotel district and Tulum city) is about 15 minutes by bike. If you can, rent a car.

The rooms at Shambala Petit are beautiful, each provides a beautiful view and each is special in its own way. Following the buddhist theme, each casita is named after and indian diety, mine was named 'lord of creation' (I forgot how to spell it :~} and every morning I pulled the linen curtain to awake to the most beautiful sunrise.

This is one of the most rewarding trips Ive been on in a while. Everything was perfect.

www.shambalapetit.com

9. Re: Shambala Petit Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 09:17
Get answers to your questions about Tulum