We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri la Caribe? Las Palapas? El Dorado suites? Golf...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
344 posts
5 reviews
Shangri la Caribe? Las Palapas? El Dorado suites? Golf...

Hi- I am a Playa newbie and appreciate any input you all can give. There are so many choices! We are looking at the Shangri la caribe which looks great but someone tell me honestly- how is the dinner buffet? I have seen reviews that praise the breakfast but say little about dinner. Also- drink prices at the bar- anyone know? Opinions about Las Palapas? As a cheaper option were were considering the Pelicano Inn. How is this place ? Crowded beach - noise level? And lastly, this is not in Playa but has anyone stayed at El Dorado suites? Opinions much appreciated! Also GOLF- anyway to get discounts or coupons? thanks!!

Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Shangri la Caribe? Las Palapas? El Dorado suites? Golf...

Just got back from 5 days at ShangriLa Caribe. Loved it so much that we are going back with family in May. Food at breakfast and lunch was great. It is hard to mess up fresh fruit, eggs and pancakes so I was not surprised that breakfast was good, but lunch on the open palapa was excellent as well. We only ate dinner at the hotel 2 nights because dinner is at 7:30 and that was too late for my kids. Dinner is not a buffet (except for Mexican night - Sundays) and is served multi course while seated. When we ate at Shangrila for dinner the food was fresh and homemade with nice soups and wine. It was very lovely with none of the "Club Med Buffet" feel. The beach is quiet and beautiful - I almost don't want to recommend Shangrila because it is so hard to get good rooms now - if more people know about it, it will be even harder.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Shangri la Caribe? Las Palapas? El Dorado suites? Golf...

How about the Royal Hideaway? I have been to Playa 5 times and I am dying to try there....need to save up the money though!! Very posh and exclusive. Golf course very close by.

Michigan
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Shangri la Caribe? Las Palapas? El Dorado suites? Golf...

We stayed at the Pelicano last year and are going back next week. I't's not a resort but clean and perfectly located. The beach is active but not crowded. The restaurant staff under the palapas are friendly and attentive without hovering. The supply of beach umbrellas is a bit limited but that is only an issue if your prefer shade to sun or if you don't get out to the beach until the middle of the afternoon. Mostly quiet on the beach at night unless there is a party under the large palapa at the hotel to the north.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
344 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Shangri la Caribe? Las Palapas? El Dorado suites? Golf...

Thanks for the info. on hotels I can't wait!! But will have too, going in Sept. or November.