We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri la Caribe or Las Palapas?

NY Metro
Level Contributor
42 posts
Shangri la Caribe or Las Palapas?

I am planning a relaxing vacation for March with my husband & can't decide on which place to stay. Which would you choose? Last year we stayed at the Intercontinental Presidente Cozumel which we LOVED and would go back but it is still being rebuilt. Does anyone know how the hurricane effected these two hotels? And can you snorkel off the beaches here?

thanks for your help.

NY Metro
Level Contributor
42 posts
1. Re: Shangri la Caribe or Las Palapas?

please help. thanks.

NY Metro
Level Contributor
42 posts
2. Re: Shangri la Caribe or Las Palapas?

please help. thanks.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Shangri la Caribe or Las Palapas?

Well, I haven't stayed at either place (yet) but you seem so desperate! I was booked to stay at Shangri La Caribe this past December, but relocated to Aruba because of the damage. From what I understand, they should be pretty close to fully operational now. I was told that they were going to completely redo all of the oceanfront bungalows (they got a lot of damage from the hurricane) and that one of the two restaurants they were not going to rebuild at all. But, I think they should be up and running good by now.

I am going to try to get there this upcoming year, as I was VERY excited about staying at the Shangri La. I'm sure you can snorkel in the water right in front of the resort, but I don't know if there is anything to seethere. I do know you can take snorkeling tours where they'll take you out in a boat to do snorkeling.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
208 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Shangri la Caribe or Las Palapas?

I had the very same question while planning my honeymoon from June 27th-July 3rd, 2005. We stayed at Shangri La Caribe and LOVED it. We were very lucky as it was 1 wk or so before the first big hurricane hit. I don't know what the area is like now, but from what I've read on other postings, it seems that they should have been up and running by now. My husb and I went to Las Palapas just for curiosity while we were in Playa and checked it out and that was really nice as well. You can't go wrong with either, really. They are both charming! I think I preferred the pool a bit more in Las Palapas (surrounded by palm trees), but somehow preferred the overall feel of Shangri-La... Enjoy your trip wherever you end up! I've been to Mexico 5 or 6 times now, both coasts, and Playa del Carmen is my favorite so far. BTW, I don't think snorkelling is too interesting there...you need to go to the reefs for that...however, the beach and ocean are stunning, of course.

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
208 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Shangri la Caribe or Las Palapas?

Clarification: I meant if you want to snorkel right in front of the hotels. There's great snorkeling in various places around Playa, I'm sure. We just didn't do it during our stay. Too busy with sightseeing. Went to underground Cenotes and ruins, etc. Relaxed for 1 day at the beach. Check out Yaxche restaurant in Playa (make reservations), for traditional Yucatecan food and Alux, for a unique dining experience in a cave!

Minneapolis...
4 posts
6. Re: Shangri la Caribe or Las Palapas?

Tangirl,

I have not been to Shangri La - but would highly recommend Las Palapas. Stayed there in Oct 2004 and it was perfect. Since it's a mile away from Playa main, it's pretty quiet. While I'm not certain how they fared with the hurricanes last year, when we were there the beach was large and un-crowded. (Thinking about it right now makes me want to be back there this instant).

Unless you want to see sand, I don't think snorkeling right off the beach would be very exciting. They do offer 1/2 day snorkeling trips from Las Palapas. We went, but it was lame. 100's of people from various resorts around Playa swimming on top of one another in a rather colorless reef. I would recommend taking a day trip to Cozumel for better snorkeling.

Good luck!