We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pharmacy Prices Question?

Level Contributor
16 posts
Pharmacy Prices Question?
Save

Is it true prices for prescription medicine or cream from a doctor that you go and get at different pharmacies, they are completely different prices? Not only that... the same pharmacy name such as YZA or Farmacias Del Ahorro would charge different prices at different locations? Thus the one on 10th and 10th would be different than the one on say 34th and 30th? What about Farmacia Similares? If so, do some of you go to different locations to check price before buying if it's expensive?

Does anyone know which pharmacy location for YZA, Farmacias Del Ahorro and Similares generally cost the least? Is it 30th avenue and onwards and far from the beach, the less it would cost? However, heard a lot about the Ahorro on 10th and 10th that is popular but is that location overcharging compared to the same Ahorro on say 30th avenue? Also can anyone here confirm there is like 2 YZA across mega or similar? I recall there is a YZA across mega but another YZA one block away near DAC or similiar?

Also what about those independent pharmacies? Do those overcharge? I believe the 3 big name pharmacies are Similares, Ahorro and YZA correct? So you should avoid any independent ones? I guess the same with those independent ones on 5th avenue and 10th avenue? Now what about those big name pharmacy not in centro? Are prices there going to be lower than near centro? Example an Ahorro or YZA in an area far away from centro.

2 replies to this topic
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula, Chetumal, Mahahual
Level Contributor
33,087 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Pharmacy Prices Question?
Save

Yes, it is true that prices differ at different pharmacies, but I don't know about different prices at the same pharmacy at different locations. I've heard people say that prices are higher at pharmacies on 5th Ave, but I haven't found that to be true for some items.

Farmacias Similares is a low-cost pharmacy chain stocked with cheap, generic versions of many medicines, and apparently on Mondays, there's a discount. I've only been to Similares twice, and they have never had the drugs I wanted, so they are not my first choice.

I'm near a YZA and a Ahorro so I get prices from both before buying. There has never been any consistency with one always being cheaper than the other. I have been happy with the service from YZA -- on one occasion, the drug wasn't in stock, but they said to come back in 2 hours, and they will have it.

I've tried a generic pharmacy on Constituyentes, but it was not cheaper than YZA.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,467 posts
230 reviews
180 helpful votes
2. Re: Pharmacy Prices Question?
Save

"Is it true prices for prescription medicine or cream from a doctor that you go and get at different pharmacies, they are completely different prices? Not only that... the same pharmacy name such as YZA or Farmacias Del Ahorro would charge different prices at different locations?"

At the large chain pharmacies, the prices are standardized within their computer systems and typically remain consistent across the country. You can easily check the prices on the pharmacies' websites.

"independent pharmacies? Do those overcharge?"

I believe it's more common for the independent pharmacies to overcharge. In Mexico, drug prices are regulated, and each container/box will have an imprinted price that should not be exceeded. If you find the regulated price covered by a sticker or blacked out with a marker, you're likely being overcharged

All that said, it does pay to shop around. I've found substantial differences in drug prices at the various chains - some are less expensive at Farmacia Del Ahorro and others are less expensive at Farmacia Guadalajara

Edited: 23 February 2024, 03:34
Reply to: Pharmacy Prices Question?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Carmen
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.