We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri la Caribe closing?

Stevenson Ranch, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Shangri la Caribe closing?

I was just on the forum on playa.info and read that the rumors are true. It has been sold to some American investors and may close by July 2008. How terrible is that! It may become a Hyatt! Yuk! Has anyone heard anything in regards to this information?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Shangri la Caribe closing?

Only heard rumors but heard the same rumors as you have posted. What a shame. PDC is turning into a little Cancun. Very sad. People will keep going south to get away from the mega resorts....but money talks. Can't blame the current owners -- I'm sure they'll head south too.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Shangri la Caribe closing?

Just had a horrible thought....there goes our lovely beach cam!

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Shangri la Caribe closing?

Beachcam went with Dean. Nothing is permanent except change.

Still think PlayaMaya (Steve, are you listening) should get one up on the flagpole. What a view we would have....and we could all go there and eat coconut shrimp to pay the bills.

5 posts
4. Re: Shangri la Caribe closing?

It doesn't seem like there are other similar resorts in Playa . Can anyone recommend a similar resort south of Playa/Shangri-la? Looking for that authentic feel on a beautiful beach where the people aren't packed together like sardines.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Shangri la Caribe closing?

we are considering either Mimi del Mar or Playa Maya - just type the names in the search function to look at the reviews. Hope this helps ~ both have pretty good reviews and right on beach.

Stevenson Ranch, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Shangri la Caribe closing?

I just got confirmation from Turquoise Reef Group, who booked our trips to SLC. Yes, it's sold and once the new owners finish paying it off, it will be torn down for....don't say it...CONDOS! TRG did say that Shangri La's owners are looking to build elsewhere, possibly on the coast and have even started building a property in Hacienda, by Merida.

ckg
washington dc
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Shangri la Caribe closing?

Wow. I was just about to book a stay here for later in September. Are they still open and has the ownership already changed? Any suggestions on whether we should book here or look somewhere else? thanks!!

Stevenson Ranch, CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Shangri la Caribe closing?

They are still open and I don't believe new ownership has happened. Try contacting Tuquoise Reef Group to book. They will know more details as this is where my information was confirmed. Their website is www.mexicoholiday.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
45 reviews
9. Re: Shangri la Caribe closing?

this is one of the hotels I have considered for our February stay and they emailed me back stating availability and this is for the 3rd week of Feb 08 - I would guess not to worry about anything in the next few months :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Shangri la Caribe closing?

My whole stay has been paided for. I 'm going November 5-9 and so far no news is Good News . I booked through Turquoise Reef and NO email about my Stay. My bags are packed and i'm going.

Best to all of you

Moonmaiden77