We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pastor by the kilo

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
84 reviews
62 helpful votes
Pastor by the kilo
Save

Any recommendations on places that sell pastor or other taco meat by the kilo? There used to be a place on Hidalgo (across from rock bar?) that you could order it this way (take out or dine in) and share family-style with all the self serve toppings, but I believe this place is long gone.

10 replies to this topic
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
693 posts
43 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Pastor by the kilo
Save

El Trompo Loco in LaGloria - Paseo de las aves esq calle Lizeta - definitely has this as an option and is on their menu.

In Centro, the only possible place IMO that may do this would be Taqueria Los Burritos.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
693 posts
43 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Pastor by the kilo
Save

El Trompo Loco in LaGloria - Paseo de las aves esq calle Lizeta - definitely has this as an option and is on their menu.

In Centro, the only possible place IMO that may do this would be Taqueria Los Burritos.

Montpelier, Vermont
Level Contributor
237 posts
3. Re: Pastor by the kilo
Save

Willy’s in the Mercado on Saturday morning at 8 am. Not to be missed.Cochinita,not pastor.

Edited: 22 February 2024, 03:47
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
84 reviews
62 helpful votes
4. Re: Pastor by the kilo
Save

El Trompo! Just peeped their menu, it looks really good and I see pastor by the kilo including tortillas and toppings. This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Willys on Saturday for conchinita is on my list too, thanks!

We get to the island next week and I am having trouble concentrating on anything else except vacay planning! (sorry work)

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
693 posts
43 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: Pastor by the kilo
Save

You can get conchinita from Willy’s on Saturdays AND Sunday (which is the traditional day for this). Many other places mid-island and LaGloria have conchinita on Sundays too.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
12 reviews
102 helpful votes
6. Re: Pastor by the kilo
Save

I'm staying on Sac Bajo. What is the closest and best place for cochinita pibil? I could go to the market, but I don't know if I'll make it there early enough,

Midland, Texas
Level Contributor
817 posts
60 reviews
42 helpful votes
7. Re: Pastor by the kilo
Save

Duckbilled - Cochinita Pios is close to Sac Bajo

Illinois
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
117 reviews
97 helpful votes
8. Re: Pastor by the kilo
Save

And cochinita píos is awesome!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
693 posts
43 reviews
25 helpful votes
9. Re: Pastor by the kilo
Save

Pios is decent (but there are better) but be on the lookout for those big rectangular pans with locals gathered around. There are two places on Calle Lizeta that hit this citeria on that are on my Sunday to do list but is so hard to “cheat” on some others that are sooo good. On Lizeta there is a lady that sells it in front on the DonoUSA store. Just 2-3 blocks to the west (towards Super Aki), there’s a place that sells it next to/in a local no name butcher shop. We’ve enjoyed the free conchinita smells a few times from them.

This Sunday is a conchinita Sunday (we only do conchinita every other Sunday so it keeps being special) … so … we may have to knock one or both of the list!!

Edited: 01 March 2024, 03:01
Illinois
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
117 reviews
97 helpful votes
10. Re: Pastor by the kilo
Save

Thanks for the “upgraded” suggestions!! I’ve never been on isla long enough to feel I needed to skip a Sunday. Maybe someday……..

Reply to: Pastor by the kilo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.