We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shallow plane dive

knoxville, tn
5 posts
Shallow plane dive

Last time in Coz from cancun, my dive op. stoped at some hotel that had a plane in about 35' to 40' of water. Anyone know the name of the Hotel?

thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
7 posts
1 review
1. Re: Shallow plane dive

I am pretty sure it is El Cid La Ceiba, right by the International and Puerta Maya piers! I am actually staying there next week!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,722 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Shallow plane dive

That answer is correct, the plane is located straight out from La Ceiba, and the site is called "airplane flats" This is an excellent check out dive or beginners shore dive, plus it makes for great snorkeling. Other landmarks in the area are Park Royal hotel, Aqua World or the Atlantis sub store, or the Vista Del Mar hotel

knoxville, tn
5 posts
3. Re: Shallow plane dive

Thanks for the info, but I checked the hotel, and from the pis, it seems it right by the cruisers... the one I am thinking of was a larger hotel, I remember a large bamboo eating area, and a dive shop right by the water on the left of the hotel (standing at the water). I was sober, so I know im not too far off... any more ideas?

thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,722 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Shallow plane dive

I don't know of any other similar site in Cozumel. Airplane flats fits your depth description and is the only plane dive I have ever done there. The plane remains are on the bottom upside down, and there is not much of it there. It was put there by La Ceiba after it was used in a movie, and then removed, but the hotel supposidly had it put back. It is not that far north of the international pier, which is about 2.5 miles south of the ferry pier you would have arrived at. If memory serves me right La Ceiba has both a tall tower, and a 2 or 3 story section similar to a motel, and I think they have their own in house dive shop. Aqua World (another dive shop) is a bit north, about 100 to 200 yards.

Island Lake
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Shallow plane dive

I think you are talking on the Park Royal Hotel. You can get to the plane from the beach.