We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I get a prescription drug in Cozumel without a script?

Lake Worth, Florida
Level Contributor
730 posts
79 reviews
43 helpful votes
Can I get a prescription drug in Cozumel without a script?
Save

A few members of my family get cold sores and they take an oral acyclovir. We still have some but it's running low and someone always gets a sore when we're on vacation. I think the sun triggers them. Is this something I could walk into a pharmacy in Cozumel and just ask for?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
59,056 posts
169 reviews
139 helpful votes
1. Re: Can I get a prescription drug in Cozumel without a script?
Save

I will not say for certain, but for the most part the only things requiring a prescription are antibiotics. And even then, for a price you can often get them. I checked my farmacia on their website and it show readily available with no prescription. In Spanish, you need Aciclovir. A small difference but sometimes helps to know.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas, Cozumel
Level Contributor
17,299 posts
2. Re: Can I get a prescription drug in Cozumel without a script?
Save

You might also look for Zovirax which can be prescribed as a ointment or an oral medication. The other, somewhat newer, medication is called Viroxyn. It is liquid that comes in an applicator vial with a cotton swab attached on the end. The swap is soaked with the medication and is rubbed vigorously into the affected area. While it does not completely eliminate the cold sore, it greatly reduces the duration of the outbreak.

King of Prussia...
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
35 helpful votes
3. Re: Can I get a prescription drug in Cozumel without a script?
Save

I'm not sure about acyclovir but we have been going to Riviera Maya on and off past 10 years and I stock up on medications - mostly Antibiotics- each time. Yes, I know what and when to use them and not to overuse them.

Mills River, North...
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
116 reviews
54 helpful votes
4. Re: Can I get a prescription drug in Cozumel without a script?
Save

You need prescriptions for antibiotics, anabolic steroids, opioids, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, "Z-drugs" (modern sleeping pills) but not for most other things that require prescriptions in the US such as antihypertensives, PPI's, PDE5 inhibitors, diuretics, etc.

Antiretrovirals aren't really antibiotics as such. I don't see them as requiring a prescription in Mexico on the reference I use, but the most reliable thing would be to get and fill a prescription before you leave.

Many medications are less expensive in Mexico, but not all are and some are significantly more expensive.

You might be able to get antibiotics without a prescription in Mexico, but it's not legal. I spent all that time in medical school, residency, fellowship, etc. and my wife got that advanced microbiology degree, but we can't always tell what antibiotic to use (or whether to use any at all) without a culture. I always wonder what sort of magic enables other people to be so certain about this based on subjective symptoms alone.

TravelJudy, Zovirax is a brand of acyclovir, so it's what the OP was asking about. Viroxyn is pretty much a mild local anesthetic, benzocaine. It has benzalkonium chloride in it as well, but I'm not aware of any evidence that it does any good at all for viral sores.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
78 reviews
39 helpful votes
5. Re: Can I get a prescription drug in Cozumel without a script?
Save

Cicloferon (aciclovir and lidocaine), Soviclor, Zinedine are available over the counter for around 5 bucks US

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
59,056 posts
169 reviews
139 helpful votes
6. Re: Can I get a prescription drug in Cozumel without a script?
Save

I double checked with a local pharmacy today and the Aciclovir is readily available with no prescription.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
7,836 posts
13 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Can I get a prescription drug in Cozumel without a script?
Save

If you are in the Tourist areas and get drugs, many times they are Placebo, and there you go.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
59,056 posts
169 reviews
139 helpful votes
8. Re: Can I get a prescription drug in Cozumel without a script?
Save

I would be sure to buy at a major Pharmacy and not something catering to tourists. Or the Mega supermarket has a good Pharmacy. The pharmacy I checked with is Farmacias del Ahorro and they have several on the island.

Lake Worth, Florida
Level Contributor
730 posts
79 reviews
43 helpful votes
9. Re: Can I get a prescription drug in Cozumel without a script?
Save

Thank you everyone and especially Robert SDF that was so nice of you to check!

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
78 reviews
39 helpful votes
10. Re: Can I get a prescription drug in Cozumel without a script?
Save

I've bought stuff from the pharmacy next door to the hospital around the corner from Casa Mexicana. Very friendly

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.