My friend and I rented a car from Cancun airport through carrentals.com with Firefly for about $86 for 3 days and it was literally the worst customer experience I've ever had in my life. Pretty sure they would be had for false advertising in Australia. Here is a brief summary of the main issues:
* We waited in the airport for them to pick us up but they did not arrive. The guy from Hurtz felt sorry for us and dropped us off at their office.
* The reservation was in my friend's name but I had paid for the car with my credit card. This became a massive problem.
* They further claimed we needed to pay an extra $100 because I hadn't paid for insurance. I argued that the insurance was included. We asked if they could print out the contract (it took him literally 10 minutes to convince him to do so). The contract showed we had purchased 3rd party but not comprehensive insurance. In small writing down the bottom of the contract it said that comprehensive insurance could be purchased for an extra $100 or otherwise I would have to pay a deposit which matched the price of the car.
* I argued this information was not available until AFTER I had already purchased the policy (the website had said $86 was the total price) and on top of that it was not clear (since it was writing in small writing on the last page). The guy claimed comprehensive insurance wasn't "compulsory" and, hence, didn't need to be displayed until after the purchase. Obviously, who is going to put down a deposit that size?
* The guy argued I should have fully read the policy AFTER I had paid the money and if I wasn't happy with it then cancel straight away (despite the fact that he still admitted there was no guarantee of a refund and they would take no responsibility).
* So they refused to give a refund as they claimed it wasn't their fault since I had brought the policy through carrentals.com. Eventually we felt like we had no choice since we were stuck in Cancun in their office.
* When they brought the car to us it was the wrong car. They claimed it was an "upgrade" and they wanted to give us a better car. This was an obvious lie and was particularly annoying given the fact we had endured an hour lecture on "not reading the policy correctly". Apparently neither had they.
* Finally, after what seemed like ages they brought us the last car. It was a downgrade to what we had originally asked for but by this time we had had enough and wanted to leave.
* On top of all of this nightmare the man was incredibly rude to us. One of my main issues with him was that even though he had good English was refused to speak it most of the time, choosing to speak to my friend in Spanish instead. I think this was done mostly strategically on his behalf so that he could isolate her and bully her into submission easier.
My honest advice is to never go with this company, especially the one in Cancun airport. For the love of god just spend a little more money and go with a recognised company like Hurtz.