We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shame on Spirit for carry- on bags charge!

melbourne, florida
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
12 reviews
Shame on Spirit for carry- on bags charge!

We usually use AA . They allow 2bags checked per person and a carry -on.If we go with Spirit , each checked bag will cost $19. We usually check 3 bags and one carry -on with AA NO Charge. If we used Spitit it will cost $174.00.

If Spirit starts this program the other airlines will follow!

That means your trip to Cancun will cost more.

Please sound off.

Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Shame on Spirit for carry- on bags charge!

We have the option of driving to EWR(45 min), PHL(90 min), ACY(60 min). This year we opted for Spirit from ACY w/layover. Very easy in/out airport. Next trip? back to EWR on Continental. Lots of competition out there. Are you listening to this Spirit? Oh and that Spirit credit card? buh-bye......

how's that for sounding off?

Lambertville, MI
Level Contributor
434 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Shame on Spirit for carry- on bags charge!

yes, me too. canceling my cards. And not to mention when you call to cash in your miles, you can't understand the "customer service" person.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: Shame on Spirit for carry- on bags charge!

Just wondering if I can get some clarification as the first post is a little jumbled.

Are they charging for carry on bags? The title of thread says that they are but the text in the first post doesn't mention a charge for carry on luggage.

Also how does it equal $174? 19 doesn't go into $174 evenly so something is incorrect there.

Southborough...
Level Contributor
374 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Shame on Spirit for carry- on bags charge!

Danger, I heard they are going to charge $45 for a carry on that goes in the overhead bin as of August 1st.

What amazes me is that the airlines start charging for checked bags and then gripe about the amount of carry ons people are taking on the plane. Seems like something they should have thought of before. I just hope the other airlines don't follow and Spirit goes bye bye. I wish Southwest flew to Mexico....love them!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Shame on Spirit for carry- on bags charge!

I don't know what calculation they used, but the point is...Spirit wants you to pay $45 per overhead carryon, in addition to any checked luggage ($19 online-$25 at terminal)

As crazy as this sounds...if they came ot with $10 per...they probably would have gotten away with it under the radar.....

melbourne, florida
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Shame on Spirit for carry- on bags charge!

Answer to $174-

3bags to cancun at $19 each $57

1 Carry-on to Cancun $30

3 bags back to MCO $57

1 carry-on to MCO $30

Total $174

New Jersey
Level Contributor
267 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Shame on Spirit for carry- on bags charge!

It seems like Spirit nickle and dime everything! First you pay for your luggage, then you pay for your seat selection, and now it charges you for carry on bags! They will be the first US carrier to charge to use the restroom, wait & see.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Shame on Spirit for carry- on bags charge!

Wait till they discover that breathing air doesn't pay for itself.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
375 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Shame on Spirit for carry- on bags charge!

What a Great post!!

Hopefully sounding off will get to the right ears of other airlines that might be listening, not to mention Spirit's. I too wish Southwest would fly to Cancun, imagine what there next commercial will be. (Can't wait)

Edited: 10 April 2010, 02:00
TX1
Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Shame on Spirit for carry- on bags charge!

I'm sure I am in the minority - but I really don't care about them charging a bag fee. It is what it is - they could either charge for bags or just raise the price of the air fare. I just consider it part of the vacation cost. I am much more concerned about the safety of the aircraft than the baggage fee. You also have a choice as to choose them as your airline. I personally don't use them.