We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling questions over Easter 2024

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
632 posts
508 reviews
301 helpful votes
Snorkeling questions over Easter 2024
Save

I have scoured the internet and spent a significant amount of time reading Forum posts, decided to post the question here in detail to get the best response...

We, the two of us in our 60's, experienced snorklers, we bring our own full face masks,short fins,reef protection sunblock, good quality life jackets, light weight wet suites and gloves have been looking for a half day or more and we dont want the fluff of a full day Caramaran booze cruise, buffet lunch beach club, shopping, and with minimal snorkeling type tour. We just want snorkeling and was hoping to minimize travel by using the North ferry dock for excursion departure adjacent to Playa Caracal public beach because we're staying at the Krystal Grand over Easter this year.

The north seems like it is the closest place to pick up a tour from our hotel but I haven't been able to find anything they all leave from Cancun or Playa del Carmen which is a lot of extra travel. I checked with Viator and those tours depart only on Isla Mujeres or Cancun. I checked the ferry schedule to isla Mujeres from the North Terminal and it doesn't leave until 945 am and travels to Playa Norde on the north Isla Mujeres which means we would have to take the afternoon snorkel tour if we could make our own way there and pick up one of the tours that we liked with Viator that just focuses on snorkeling. I usually prefer snorkeling in the morning when the water isn't so choppy. Viator has one that just goes to two different snorkeling spots on Isla Mujeres.

I usually stay in the Maya Riviera for a few years now so I don't have a lot of experience with snorkeling in hotel zone area. Looks like a great reef at the South End of the seven by Club Med but I don't think you can access the beach there and the reef unless you stay there or have to do quite a bit of walking to get to the public entrance if they're even is one? if I was to go there I'm more interested in the reef and not the Underwater Museum

Also looks like a fantastic reef at Puerto Morelos and I might do that one separately if time because it seems that you can hire boats and guides for a couple of hours off the dock for a minimum fee who will take you out to the reef which is only about 5 minutes away...

Is there anything like that for Isla Mujeres if we tried to take the ferry over ourself to the island and then see if we can pick up a tour like it's done at Puerto Moreles or find our way to the meeting place for the Viator tour we liked on the island. I just don't know how easy that's going to be I haven't been able to find anything on it but I am also still researching. I'm hoping someone on here has done something on their own for snorkeling like this and can share for us and others reading this on isla mujeres or picked up an excursion tour or a boat and guide from the north dock at Playa Caracol.

I'm just concerned because it's Easter and things are usually busier during that week I would feel better if I had something booked ahead or at least know what I'm doing to organize something once I'm there. I'm not familiar with Playa mujeres at all and the snorkeling and how to get over there and once you land on the ferry what is the distance between getting to these places to snorkel, are their cabs available, I saw somewhere about golf cart rentals are things that close together that you could get to places with a golf cart anyways ? just looking for anyone's thoughts on snorkeling Adventures as above...thanks in advance

9 replies to this topic
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
7,836 posts
13 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Snorkeling questions over Easter 2024
Save

If you can change plans and spend a night or two on Cozumel, that will definitely cure your snorkel fix.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
82 reviews
90 helpful votes
2. Re: Snorkeling questions over Easter 2024
Save

The Isla Mujeres form is really active and helpful so you may want to post this there. That being said, a quick taxi to Puerto Morelos to the dock and you can get a boat for a snorkel tour for a couple of hours, Easy Peasy. We booked a snorkel tour many years ago out of PM through Wet Set. I have not researched to see if they are still in business for book ahead trips, but can't imagine that by going to the dock you wouldn't be snorkel boat waiting to take people out.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
3. Re: Snorkeling questions over Easter 2024
Save

I'm a snorkeler. I stay on Isla Mujeres. I go to Puerto Morelos to snorkel. I think that should tell you everything. I don't bother except to test my gear. Cozumel is better but too far and ports close etc. It's easier just to get on a boat off the pier in Puerto Morelos. Wet Set is still in business and still gets excellent reviews if you want to arrange something ahead of time. I'm a last minute gal so just use the boats from the pier. It is protected reef park so there is no diving down. Only licensed boats and crews are allowed to take people out.

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
632 posts
508 reviews
301 helpful votes
4. Re: Snorkeling questions over Easter 2024
Save

Thanks a bunch everyone, i have snorkeled at Cozumel want to snorkel somewhere else but appreciate the comments on that ...we will definitely do the Puerto Morelos have not tried that one yet that should cure the snorkel fix we need and maybe just take a ferry to Isla Mujeres if we feel like it have not been over there yet ...i just saw West set tours yesterday

Lovethe5un if you were going to snorkel at all on isla mujeres where would you snorkel ? was thinking for a day trip of checking out the beach playa norde ? what would be your recommendations for trying to do it on our own for snorkeling is there anything set up there like Puerto Morales for getting guides and boats from the ferry dock?

Edited: 23 February 2024, 08:42
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
5. Re: Snorkeling questions over Easter 2024
Save

The only snorkel that is good is to take a boat. The drift snorkel is a good one. You can snorkel at garrifon de castillo or the Mia Lagoon but its not great. There are rocks beyond the boueys but there's a reason they put up the lines....stupid people.

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
632 posts
508 reviews
301 helpful votes
6. Re: Snorkeling questions over Easter 2024
Save

thanks i just finished reading a ton of posts on the isla mujeres forum i never thought of looking there and i see alot of helpful posts that you have written thanks for everything i am going to do Puerto Morales and if inclined the island but i want good snorkeling with the least hassle Puerto Morales fits the bill for sure so glad i posted this has been very educational

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
632 posts
508 reviews
301 helpful votes
7. Re: Snorkeling questions over Easter 2024
Save

Here's the outcome of my trip for snorkeling... We decided to get a private driver who took us to tourist building in Puerto Moreles to buy the tickets for the boats going out to the reef. Unfortunately, the wind had started picking up. And by the time we got there, the port was closed, but the plan would have worked either by taking the bus or private transfer, getting the tickets and going out on reef. Sadly, the port remained closed until the day we left so will have to do another time. And we would take public bus next time now that we know the set up

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
214 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: Snorkeling questions over Easter 2024
Save

iI wonder if the public bus would take you back to the Hotel zone or the bus depot down town?

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
632 posts
508 reviews
301 helpful votes
9. Re: Snorkeling questions over Easter 2024
Save

In my research and from what other posters were saying is that you take the bus R25 i believe that goes up to the hotel zone and then back to Cancun where you transfer buses and take the bigger red ADO bus that drops you off on the highway at the 711 and then from the 711 you get a cab to the tourist building.

Reply to: Snorkeling questions over Easter 2024
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.