We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
511 posts
670 reviews
288 helpful votes
Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort
Save

Although our "All-inclusive" package claims "gratuities are included," I understand this is BS and hotel workers still expect tips.

How much should we tip the hotel maid per day?

Usually, we tip as a % of the food/drink price, but since there are no prices with the "all-inclusive", I'm wondering how much to tip.

How much do we tip for a mixed drink at the bar?

For a beer at the bar?

For a soda from the bar?

How much do you tip for just a burger from the outdoor snack bar?

For a meal at the table service restaurant in the resort?

How much should we tip, if anything, at a buffet?

17 replies to this topic
Peterborough & the...
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
66 reviews
68 helpful votes
1. Re: Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort
Save

Hi JamieNCY, you are correct we just came back and yes on our "All Inclusive" it stated Tips and Gratuities are included. However, most staff expect and look forward to and really appreciate the tips.

The hotel we stayed at the Staff at all levers were exceptional in professionalism and hospitality and the truth be told, most do not make a lot of money, most staff average between 300 to 600 Pesos a day in wages, which is not much in an expensive City like Cancun.

Here's what we did each day and it worked very well, all in George Washingtons: $2 each morning for the Maid (room was always spotless, clean and cleaned on time) Breakfast $2 each morning at the table then 1 George Washington to the "Omelette" Maker, at Lunch $ 2. For dinner $6 Dollars total.

Now as for the Pool side bar or swim up bar, did not Tip every single drink, but just twice a day. We were 2 people and the level of appreciation and thanks was palpable.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort
Save

So basically, like a cruise, bulk of your gratuities are already paid for and if you want to tip the staff a little extra, you can. I guess this is the case in all all-inclusive properties?

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
64 reviews
55 helpful votes
3. Re: Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort
Save

Cruises have a separate line item on your bill for tips and gratuities…all inclusives do not. A literal majority of the wages for these workers comes from tips. The minimum wage is so low, they really do rely on tips to get by.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
56 reviews
52 helpful votes
4. Re: Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort
Save

Just want to chime in that the women/men who clean your hotel room work very hard. It would take me half a day and a few helpers to make the room as spotless and tidy as the housekeeping does. For this, we tip at least $5 each time we have the room cleaned. For most other services, bartender, waiter $1 - $5 each (or almost each) time, $5 for the bellboy and sometimes $10 for the front desk (if they give you a perk like a free upgrade or early check-in) I also give $1-$2 to the person making my omelette (or whatever on the griddle) and $1 to the bathroom attendants.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort
Save

I think these tips will add up to more than the cost of the all-inclusive!

😂

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
64 reviews
55 helpful votes
6. Re: Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort
Save

We usually spend about $200-250 a week in tips. We just budget it in.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
7. Re: Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort
Save

Daruwala...that is why your trip is so cheap. They work 6 days a week for long hours for very little money. The 'tip' portion of your originally cost that goes to the worker is very small.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
10 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort
Save

I agree with “cheers Kim”. We don’t go to Mexico as often as I would like to, but she was pretty much spot on with the way we tip when we’re there. We almost always have great service in every aspect of the trip, so I have no problem with the tipping. They do work hard for us to enjoy our vacations. Enjoy!!!!

Va
Level Contributor
16,857 posts
16 reviews
33 helpful votes
9. Re: Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort
Save

Just keep in mind that the workers you are tipping are likely not getting the tips you give. The tips are skimmed and cut if they get them at all.

I know that people feel good about being generous, but Mexican businesses have much different views towards what the workers get to keep.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
147 reviews
121 helpful votes
10. Re: Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort
Save

We do something similar to post #1 for the week.

Reply to: Tipping question for "all- inclusive" resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cancun
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.