We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitax as of 10/20/2023

1 post
Visitax as of 10/20/2023

I am currently at the Cancun Airport. The only signage I have seen is on large tv screens to voluntarily pay by QR code.

It is borderline a scam. Years ago I saw some employees ask for it prior to security and just simply walked by them.

148 replies to this topic
Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,889 posts
14 reviews
23 helpful votes
21. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023

MNhasSnow,

The tax is effective in Cozumel. It always has been.

Granted, the "publicity campaign" for lack of a better term is focused on Cancun but let's face it, Cancun is the bigger market. More people enter and exit through our airport than they do at the Cozumel airport.

Just like the discontinuation of the paper tourist Visa, Cozumel is always behind Cancun.

I'm sure once the penalty face is in place there will be travelers in and out of Cozumel who will wonder why they weren't given advance notice. But it is out there. I've seen discussions about it on the Cozumel forum here and I image it's on the Cozumel Facebook pages as well.

I'm just guessing but I think it's about resources available. And if Cancun gets in line then those same airlines will follow suit in Cozumel and Tulum as well once it's up and running.

We're never going to get to the point where there's someone standing next to people at the airport saying you must pay. And I think everyone can agree that the infrastructure here is in great need of maintainence and improvement abd tourists add to the stress on the infrastructure. So to me $20 USD (less actually) is a small price to pay to be able to continue to enjoy all this area has to offer.

If tourists don't feel that way then they need to stop complaining about power outages, lack of water, crumbling roads etc....because they contribute to all that. I know you don't do that but you know there are many that do.

P.S. I'm really shocked there's any beaded animals left, lol. I thought you bought them all. 😃😉

Prentice, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
18 helpful votes
22. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023

We left Cancun on Monday 10/23/23. Our travel agent did tell us about the Visitax. But, no one mentioned it at our hotel or at the airport. We did prepay prior to our departure from WI and printed out our QRC codes in case we were asked but we weren’t.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
180 posts
34 reviews
26 helpful votes
23. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023

I have no issue with paying the tax. My concern is how sloppy and difficult it is to pay it. My taxes at home are straight forward. Also i understand this *tax* is supposed to help with infrastructure but gee how many different types of taxes does that take. It reminds my of the penny tax that gets floated in my state. That actually never goes to fix what it was supposed to. Besides how many of you here actually think taxes anywhere go for what they are intended for and in the land of Mexico I say it is even worse.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
7 reviews
12 helpful votes
24. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023

“ have no issue with paying the tax. My concern is how sloppy and difficult it is to pay it. My taxes at home are straight forward”

Nothing sloppy at all about our collection systems or our live chat and email support. I suspect you maybe using the government site.

Tim.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
7 reviews
12 helpful votes
25. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023

“We left Cancun on Monday 10/23/23”

The best way to do it. No checks needed and you are recorded with a visit and a payment. There are a lot more reminders now to help Travelers remember at the airport including checks and this is a convenience rather than an annoying checkpoint. I hope you had a great vacation and that you didn’t worry for one second about the tax.

As I have said before travel agents have been marvellous about informing their customers.

Tim.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
180 posts
34 reviews
26 helpful votes
26. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023

Having to pay a tax thru a non government site in my opinion is sloppy because part of that tax payment is going to your company and not towards the so called infrastructure needs. But just my opinion and if Mexico can't have an effective tax collection because of fraudulent sites once again sloppy and inefficient.

Edited: 27 October 2023, 00:53
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
7 reviews
12 helpful votes
27. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023

“Having to pay a tax thru a non government site in my opinion ”

It can’t be done cheaper and with the same results using government resources.

Totally respect your opinion.

Tim.

28. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

What are forum guidelines?

29. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

What are forum guidelines?

United States
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
30. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023

Allen_63 Agree 100%!Having to pay a tax thru a non government site in my opinion is sloppy because part of that tax payment is going to your company and not towards the so called infrastructure needs. But just my opinion and if Mexico can't have an effective tax collection because of fraudulent sites once again sloppy and inefficient.

MX needs to get their act together if they seriously want to enforce this and have people pay it if not they will just avoid paying it because they don't take it seriously so many fake sites confusing travelers and most don't ge their info from TA only a very small % read these forums and this is the only place discussing it.Just have a section at the airport coupled with security to pay is a better solution and I still find it laugable even as of today nothing is being done at the airport nobody mentioning it????

Edited: 27 October 2023, 09:35
Reply to: Visitax as of 10/20/2023
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.