We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitax as of 10/20/2023

1 post
Visitax as of 10/20/2023
Save

I am currently at the Cancun Airport. The only signage I have seen is on large tv screens to voluntarily pay by QR code.

It is borderline a scam. Years ago I saw some employees ask for it prior to security and just simply walked by them.

147 replies to this topic
1. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023

Tripadvisor staff has removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guidelines with regards to off-topic chat.

What are forum guidelines?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
333 posts
26 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023
Save

@bk

While I do not agree with Timothy L's opinion that this tax is a "borderline a scam", this is his opinion.

If you feel a post should be removed b/c of the post containing incorrect facts, then many if not most post on this travel site would be removed.

I will review the community guidelines regarding the posting of information that is not factional and if that results in a post being removed

Edited: 21 October 2023, 02:20
San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
67 helpful votes
3. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023
Save

Timothy L:

We leave for Cancun on Monday 10-30-23. I have talked to Alaska Airlines about this Visitax and have read numerous posts about it. Eventually the airlines will be required to collect this and put it on your ticket purchase like all the other taxes. It would seem to me this is the only enforcement method.

I assume that you did not have to pay the tax??? Can you please confirm this. My research has shown that it is a State Tax by the Quintana Roo but they have not enforced it for the past 2 years. They are now trying to enforce it by asking that everyone voluntarily pay it on line or at the airport booth.

TIMONTY L - were they asking for payment at check in at the airlines???

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
7 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023
Save

It’s not voluntary. And Alaska specifically are asking to see QR codes now.

All the arguments about scams and the law as well as data sharing to check who has and has not paid has been covered here in 400 plus posts. The only announcement left is the penalty for not paying.

The new tourism law was announced on 17th October 2023

And specifically the new tourist register.

That’s really all there is to it and have a great trip.

Tim.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,889 posts
14 reviews
22 helpful votes
5. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023
Save

Mike L,

The tax will never be included into your airfare. Whoever told you that is 100% incorrect.

There likewise is no one at the airport to collect the tax. The burden is on you to make the payment prior to departure.

Think of it like taxes at home. No one is standing there asking if you paid demanding proof but you do pay your taxes. It's the same here. You are clearly aware of your obligation to pay. Pay it. You don't need some one checking up on you.

The monies collected go towards maintaining and improving the infrastructure here in Quintana Roo so it benefits all of us.

My understanding is that we're very close to when penalties for not paying will be imposed. My guess is those will be monetary.

More and more airlines are reminding you to pay.

It's less than $20 USD. You know you need to pay. Just pay it like you do with taxes at home.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
67 helpful votes
6. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023
Save

Tim L.

I contacted Alaska Airlines today. They said they have never heard of this Tax. I don't mind paying a Tax if everyone else pays it too. Alaska Airlines specifically told me none of their agents at the Cancun airport are asking about this tax.

If this State in Mexico is going to enforce this tax, they need to get together with the appropriate parties and enforce it against everyone equally.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
7 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023
Save

Mike W,

I am sorry Mike, but the contact center has misinformed you. Alaska agents are checking at Cancun and I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that Alaska's legal representative and country manager knows all about VISITAX. Without a doubt!

Tim.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,889 posts
14 reviews
22 helpful votes
8. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023
Save

It's important to remember that there is a huge gap people answering the phone and the agents at the airport.

The people answering the phone are not even in the same country as those actually doing the checking.

I personally would not rely on them having the most up to date info.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
363 posts
7 reviews
12 helpful votes
9. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023
Save

Joan,

It’s backfiring. We get complaints every single day from passengers about their airline “confusion” . There is nothing to be confused about as travel agents large and small have implemented their messaging and have links for collection. Travel agents don’t want their customers phoning them complaining they didn’t know about the tax. Airlines are slow but some are now finally giving out a consistent message.

TUI, Southwest and Air Canada tell people the tax is included in the ticket price at the contact center still.

Apple Vacations and others still tell people there is an age exemption.

All have been provided the correct documentation and are placing the satisfaction of their customers at risk. Eventually they will catch up, but i suspect because of the number of complaints they receive.

There will not be much more wiggle room. At some point soon the state will decide enough is enough and I am sure the operator contact centers will be overwhelmed with complaints. Plenty of time given to adjust , out of time now!

Tim.

O'Fallon, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
36 helpful votes
10. Re: Visitax as of 10/20/2023
Save

So, I made the mistake of Google searching Mexico Visit Tax and ended up at visitaxmx.org where I paid $48 (I thought it was pesos). Don't get ripped off like me.

Reply to: Visitax as of 10/20/2023
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.