We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker

Saint Jacob...
Level Contributor
678 posts
29 reviews
107 helpful votes
Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker
Save

Ok...I am wondering what all of you think about fellow hotel guests where you are staying playing loud music from a personal wireless speaker, instead of using ear buds??? I personally hate that, and think that people should be courteous and use earbuds. I witness this behavior more and more every year. Just curious on what others think.....

25 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
37 posts
1. Re: Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker
Save

In the hotel where I stay people do it even though it's against the rules. Drives me crazy. I have thought about calling security but I just moved. Happens on the beach where I live and again I just move, sometimes several times. I approached a guy once who was absolutely blaring music and I thought he was going to kill me

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
13 reviews
21 helpful votes
2. Re: Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker
Save

Hate it. It's worth inquiring about rules for different resorts/condo's etc. Bluetooth speakers have ruined many places unfortunately.

Saint Jacob...
Level Contributor
678 posts
29 reviews
107 helpful votes
3. Re: Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker
Save

I totally agree! We were told before in Cancun at a Palace resort that it is ok to play music using wireless speakers on the beach, just not in the pool area!!!!! Imagine if everyone used wireless speakers on the beach....OMG!!!!

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
158 reviews
290 helpful votes
4. Re: Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker
Save

Beaches in Mexico are public, regardless of in front of a resort. So if someone wants to hike and setup chairs of their own in front of a resort, there is technically nothing the resort can do. Secrets Akumal is a good example. Security tries to keep people not staying at the resort at bay, but those in the know, push back and there’s nothing they can do. That’s why the resort can only enforced the rule at the pool.

That being said, on the Pacific side in a town called Sayulita, it is usually Mexican families brining monster Bluetooth speakers (especially on a Sunday) and blaring music all day. It’s not uncommon to have several competing with each other. And when I say monster…. Think speaker on wheels!

Edited: 01 June 2023, 01:11
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
5. Re: Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker
Save

Maybe Mexico isn't for you. The Mexicans have only one volume setting and that's to the max and further. As far as beaches go, I'd push back too if some business tried to tell me I couldn't use the public beach. I think that most are aware that beaches are public. As far as rules on their private property, they can make any they want.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
28,210 posts
152 reviews
221 helpful votes
6. Re: Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker
Save

I can think of few things that are more ignorant and anti social

Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
7. Re: Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker
Save

But this is Mexico and the people here like their music good and loud all day and all night. This has created a lot of conflict in Merida with the incomers who have restored Centro and who are now cursed with noise from new bars and clubs. It plagues many restaurants as well and now I see hotels. And also planes, trains and buses where you get the ignorati listening to music on their phones without buds. Nothing quite as annoying as being forced to listen to other people's music.

Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker
Save

This is one of those things that doesn't bother me. I don't like wearing ear buds so we can talk, etc, so like it when others around me have their speakers on for music. We don't mind most music, so not really a big deal unless we hated what they were playing, then we might move. Otherwise, to each their own. Especially on the beach, nothing you can do there.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
7,789 posts
40 reviews
33 helpful votes
9. Re: Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker
Save

Lol

It’s the beach, if you lived near one like we do, you’d know this is fairly normal.

Embrace it or don’t go to the beach.

Limbo
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker
Save

This doesn't bother me on the public beaches—I expect it. And I don't love it at hotel beaches, but they tend to be a little less crowded so you can often get far enough away from it so as it isn't completely disruptive.

What absolutely infuriates me is the entitled, selfish behavior of people who insist on doing it by the pool at a $600 per night AI, often trying to compete over whatever the hotel is playing. And then because they have it blasting so loud the men are just bellowing at the top of their lungs as they rest a couple of drinks on their gigantic beer bellies and their wives or partners are shrieking like cats in heat.

Reply to: Playing loud music on the beach with personal speaker
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cancun
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.