We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitax Question

Level Contributor
20 posts
Visitax Question

Earlier this year when I was leaving Mexico via via cancun airport back to the US, I saw these visitax people who said i had to pay the fee. Issue was for some reason i could not make the payment on my phone with my credit card. I believe that person told me i could pay it later. I ended up paying it later that night or the next day with my credit card and it worked.

I also recently returned from Mexico again via cancun airport back to the US and I saw the visitax people but they didn't even stop me and mention about it... so I went my way. But do I still need to pay this visitax now that II'm back in the US? Thing is could I still pay the tax now? I know last time I paid it either the night I flew back home or the next day. But I believe I read someone made a comment that an agent told them they have to 48 hours to make payment. I assume that is from when your flight departed. Is that true or not? I'm not sure where but I recall someone mentioning about 48 hours?

Does anyone know if not paying this tax will have any issue on you reentering Mexico? Again last time I paid this visitax after I flew back to the US either that night or the next day. I do see on the website when you click on your departure date, you could even go back few days etc. Anyone have experience on this? I didn't pay iit this time because months ago I read people said it was not enforced and it was more like a donation. But now someone says an agent said they just started enforcing this in November of this month? If so... they didn't even ask me anything nor few other people.

Edited: 2 years ago
163 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
20 posts
1. Re: Visitax Question

I just tried to make payment on the visitax site few days after I left cancun airport back to the US. I keep getting the error message of

There has been a problem. The card couldn't be authenticated in 3DS.

Did anyone else get the same message when trying to pay it?

I contacted my bank and they told me they don't see anything on their end. I tried different browsers, chrome, firefox... transaction doesn't go through.

Earlier this year when I left cancun airport back to the US, I tried to pay it at the airport but my card didn't go through and the agent told me to pay it when I got back to the US. I think when I got back to the US, I tried to pay it and there was an issue but I called my bank or enabled the transaction via email and then I paid without an issue.

But now I cannot pay it. Does anyone know how long one has to pay this after you depart cancun airport? Someone made a post that an agent said you had to pay it within 48 hours. But after that, it doesn't work?

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,889 posts
14 reviews
23 helpful votes
2. Re: Visitax Question

Ron,

Right now they're not actively collecting the tax. Most people aren't paying and no one is asking for proof of payment. Some are paying online but again no one is asking to see that you did.

At some point they'll get their act together and you won't be able to board your flight home without showing proof of payment.

But that time is not now.

Level Contributor
20 posts
3. Re: Visitax Question

Hi. But are there kiosks in cancun airport though for you to pay it?

Because I didn't see anyone there directing you to a kiosk to pay it though I did see those visatax people near the security gate etc.

I don't mind paying it online but the thing is I cannot even pay it due to it not accepting my credit card. But again, I left few days ago and been back in the US.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,889 posts
14 reviews
23 helpful votes
4. Re: Visitax Question

Yes. There are places to pay in the airport.

But since no one is stopping people telling them to pay and no one anywhere is asking for proof of payment then I'd say 90% of passengers aren't paying it.

And they're having no issues with not paying.

Like I said, eventually that will change and people need to show proof but I don't think that's anytime soon. So the majority will continue not to pay.

But if you wish to pay then just approach one of the people with the sign. They'll happily show you where to go to pay.

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula, Chetumal, Mahahual
Level Contributor
33,098 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Visitax Question

When the tax was introduced, media reports mentioned payment kiosks/counters where visitors could make the payment, but from first-hand reports from departing visitors, the Visitax people only seem to be assisting visitors in making the payment through the website (no kiosks/counters). I haven't heard of anyone actually handing over cash to the Visitax people.

As for enforcement, it seems to have increased with a very recent report of visitors not being allowed to continue through security until payment was made. But it's not consistent -- some visitors are still getting through without paying.

Is this the Visitax website you're using?...

https://www.visitax.gob.mx/sitio/

Level Contributor
20 posts
6. Re: Visitax Question

Well where at cancun airport do you even pay this then? Is it at the kiosk only? If so, is it the same kiosks where you go to which is to print your boarding pass and check in etc? Or is it different kiosk? Because I didn't see any new kiosks there unless Im looking at the wrong thing? Or you pay at a counter?

Well I already left cancun airport few days ago. I'm trying to pay it now online since I"m back in the US. Earlier this year, that is what I did because one of the visitax people asked me to pay it when I was walking by... but my credit card get kept getting rejected. Then when I got back to the US, I paid it online.

But when im trying to pay online now, it doesn't work and my bank told me it isn't on their end. Can you even pay it few days after you departed cancun airport?

Yea the visitax people only help people make payment via website on their phone not at a kiosk/counter which is what I saw again. But none of them stopped me when I walked by them. I am pretty sure few people walked by as well. Also, im close to positive people who try to pay it with the visitax people on their phone will have issues with their credit card getting rejected as I heard lot of people had issues with the transaction going through which would mean they just let them go through security.

Yes that is the visitax website I went to. It shows an error message where my card can't be authenticated and the transaction doesn't go through. And my bank tell me this is not on their end. So just don't bother with it then?

But you really think 90% of people didn't pay it? I wouldn't have guessed its that high etc. I would have though it was like 50/50.

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula, Chetumal, Mahahual
Level Contributor
33,098 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Visitax Question

Other than the Visitax people, I haven't heard of any kiosks or counters in the airport.

If you can't pay, don't worry about it. It's not being checked upon entry to Mexico.

Your worry is how many days you'll get on your next FMM.

Let us know!

Level Contributor
20 posts
8. Re: Visitax Question

Hey. Okay so if there aren't any kiosk or counters at cancun airport to pay it, then I guess a good amount of people didn't pay it then. But do you think 90% like the other poster said? That seems a lot. Then again, that website has issues when trying to pay and i'm sure other people eventually don't bother with it?

Yea my concern is if it is checked when entering Mexico again such as you didn't pay the visitax last time etc.

Well how many days are most people now getting when entering Mexico? I read its much less but are they doing this to everyone?

But has anyone here paid the visitax days after departing cancun back in the US or Canada etc?

But are you all suggesting don't even bother paying online then? Again I tried multiple times with my credit card with different web browsers and it shows error. Then again I got to assume anyone that paid it did so before they departed their flight etc.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,889 posts
14 reviews
23 helpful votes
9. Re: Visitax Question

Ron,

If you're back in the States that may be why you're having such a hard time paying it.

I'm guessing it doesn't recognize your departing flight because the flight already happened.

If your home then I truly wouldn't worry about it. I don't think anyone on here has heard of anyone hang a issue because they didn't pay.

Just pay it next time you come.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
158 reviews
290 helpful votes
10. Re: Visitax Question

Just left today…. Nowhere in the airport did we see anything about visitax….

Reply to: Visitax Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.