We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
176 reviews
177 helpful votes
Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico
Save

I just received the below email from the US Embassy in Mexico:

Message to U.S. Citizens: Immigration Enforcement

U.S. citizens are reminded that if you enter Mexico by land and plan to travel beyond the immediate border area you must stop at a National Migration Institute (INM) office to obtain an entry permit (Forma Migratoria Multiple, or FMM), even if not explicitly directed to do so by Mexican officials.

When traveling in Mexico, the law requires that foreign visitors carry a passport and entry permit. You may be asked to present these documents at any point. If you do not present these documents, immigration authorities may lawfully detain you for up to 60 days while they review your immigration status.

Immigration check points are common in the interior of Mexico, including in popular tourist areas far from the border.

U.S. Citizens resident in Mexico should carry their resident identification cards at all times.

Actions to Take

• Obtain entry permit (FMM) at INM office if entering Mexico through a land border and traveling beyond the immediate border area.

• Carry your passport and entry permit (FMM) with you.

• For U.S. citizens who reside in Mexico, carry your resident identification card.

Assistance

• Contact Form

• U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Mexico 

• From Mexico: (55) 8526 2561

• From the United States: 1-844-528-6611

36 replies to this topic
Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
10,909 posts
149 reviews
182 helpful votes
1. Re: Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico
Save

Yes there are recent Facebook posts of ID being requested. Many here recommend carrying only a photocopy of your RP or RT to keep it safe, but we always carry our originals, along with our INAPAM cards…

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,992 posts
11 reviews
22 helpful votes
2. Re: Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico
Save

These days copies or photos on your phone won't cut it.

People should do as Bluewater does and make sure they have the original with them.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
712 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico
Save

Good advice by Bluewater, as Joan says. On a recent bus trip I witnessed two Americans stopped from boarding who did not have originals. They were told they needed to wait until someone brought the originals.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
156 posts
13 reviews
15 helpful votes
4. Re: Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico
Save

I was caught without my passport 3 years ago. I was in custody for 5 hours before released.

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
10,909 posts
149 reviews
182 helpful votes
5. Re: Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico
Save

We’re you a tourist at the time, and your tourist card was with your passport? How did it get resolved?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
712 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico
Save

I wanted to add to my previous post regarding immigration stopping the two Americans until they could get there original documents. In this instance and several other checkpoints on the trip, how was impressed at the professionalism and politeness of the immigration officers. While they were insistent in having the original documents they were doing their best not to be intimidating.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
176 reviews
177 helpful votes
7. Re: Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico
Save

"Yes there are recent Facebook posts of ID being requested.'

Someone in one of our local expat groups on Facebook said he was detained for 3 days in Playa Del Carmen for not having his documents after arriving on a bus

McHenry, Illinois
Level Contributor
165 posts
66 reviews
50 helpful votes
8. Re: Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico
Save

Help me understand, please, When I've visited Cancun many times in past years I have left my passport and FMM in my hotel safe. All this time I should have carried them with me going across the street to the mall or down the road to a restaurant? I am happy to comply with the law, just didn't realize I needed to do this.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,992 posts
11 reviews
22 helpful votes
9. Re: Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico
Save

Yes.

That's exactly what you should do.

It's always been the law that you must have those documents on your person but up until now it wasn't really enforced.

It is now.

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
10. Re: Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico
Save

This is great information to have. We will be heading off of Isla on Monday, shopping all day in Cancun. It never would have occurred to me to carry my paperwork with me that day, but I will make sure that we have it.

Reply to: Immigration Enforcement message from US embassy in Mexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.