We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Darado Seaside Palms, Timeshare presentation?

Wentzville, Missouri
Level Contributor
425 posts
92 reviews
98 helpful votes
El Darado Seaside Palms, Timeshare presentation?
Save

I read a review on here that said someone got "stuck" in the timeshare presentation for 1 - 1/2 hours during their stay. Is the timeshare presentation required? Secondly if it is not can't you just tell them no? I am a bit confused how these people ended up going to it.

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
11 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: El Darado Seaside Palms, Timeshare presentation?
Save

Many times guests purchase a vacation package at a reduced rate that obligates them to sit through the timeshare presentation. If you don't then you're required to pay the difference between the discounted price and full price in order to check out.

And whoever spent 1 1/2 hours with them is lucky. Many times it's 3-4 hours of your time.

But unless you're contractually obligated to attend they can't force you too. But they'll offer you everything from cash to free up excursion trips. You, however, can refuse and say not interested. They'll likely pester you everytime they see you but they can't force you.

Wentzville, Missouri
Level Contributor
425 posts
92 reviews
98 helpful votes
2. Re: El Darado Seaside Palms, Timeshare presentation?
Save

If you buy a vacation package through a company would you know if that's what is going on? Geez the entire "surprise" charge sounds really crappy.

And ya I did one time share before for free theme park tickets many years ago. It was a horrible experience and completely not worth it.

Weatherford, Texas
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
50 reviews
78 helpful votes
3. Re: El Darado Seaside Palms, Timeshare presentation?
Save

Made a horrible mistake of doing a time share presentation and will never do that again. We wasted over 3 hours and the person selling it almost crossed the line of being aggressive to bullying. We kept trying to be nice and firm we weren’t going to buy it. Like I said 3 hours later…. Terrible. They told us an we’ll only 90 minutes tops. Wasn’t true.

Cancun, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
11 reviews
22 helpful votes
4. Re: El Darado Seaside Palms, Timeshare presentation?
Save

Aleforge,

It's not really a surprise charge. You know going in that you're getting a discount rate based on your attendence at a timeshare presentation. If you don't live up to your obligation you shouldn't be surprised they'll make you pay full price at check out.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
28,711 posts
9 reviews
52 helpful votes
5. Re: El Darado Seaside Palms, Timeshare presentation?
Save

It's important to note that if you're a REGULAR guest of the resort - i.e. you did not get a special deal, part of which included the obligation to attend a timeshare presentation - then you will certainly get asked to attend a presentation.

To get you to attend the presentation, they will likely offer you some sort of enticement in the form of free/discounted excursions, discount coupons or other perks in exchange for your attendance. Those coupons are invariably the "spend money to save money" variety - e.g. $20 off a $180 bottle of wine that you can buy at Europa in Playa del Carmen for $15.

Bottom line, unless you are OBLIGATED to attend a presentation by the terms of the package you booked, then just say you're not interested. You do not have to be rude but, IME, you do need to be firm. If you're wishy washy or try to fob them off by saying things such as "maybe tomorrow", they will hound you mercilessly.

FYI "vacation club" is not the same as timeshare but generates just about as much buyer's remorse! Don't be suckered in because they're not using the term "timeshare".

On the off-chance that you are actually interested in purchasing a timeshare, do your research, especially in the "used" market as you can often buy a pre-owned timeshare for pennies on the dollar.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: El Darado Seaside Palms, Timeshare presentation?
Save

We have been to EDSS 7 times and a time share presentation is not required and they don't constantly hound you either. You will get a note slipped under your door or your concierge will ask if your interested and a simple no thanks will do and they won't bother anymore.

Wentzville, Missouri
Level Contributor
425 posts
92 reviews
98 helpful votes
7. Re: El Darado Seaside Palms, Timeshare presentation?
Save

Considering you have been 7 times I am going to go out on a limb and say you like it. How do people dress for dinner there on average? My wife wants to dress up but we were afraid of "over dressing" as the dress codes seem a bit casual.

Quick second question since you know so much about the resort. Is this place a 1/2 and 1/2 family resort or completely stand alone adults only? We have looked at so many I am starting to become confused.

Reply to: El Darado Seaside Palms, Timeshare presentation?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.