We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Cancun

Auburn, California
3 posts
2 reviews
Safety in Cancun
Save

We are traveling this Sat, March 31, 2018 to Cancun. We are staying at an all inclusive resort. My 3 adult daughters, my husband and all their husbands are also coming. The more I read, the more nervous I become regarding our safety at the resort and outside of the resort. We will of course be very careful and aware of everything, never going anywhere alone, even to the bathroom from the pool or something. I have read that thefts occur even out of your safe in your room. Are there any special or other precautions we should take?

Beavercreek, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
1. Re: Safety in Cancun
Save

I will never go back after the 4 weeks we will spend in Cancun this year! Did I mention we are so terrified we are only spending 4 weeks in Mexico. Turn CNN sensationalized fake news off!!

FK
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Safety in Cancun
Save

My son and his friends (21-24 year olds) went in December and stayed at the Moon Grand. They felt very safe in the resorts. They did venture out to the clubs late at night and did see a bit of unusual activity in one of the clubs so left immediately. I think it depends how late you are out, where you are at and what you are doing. I would say it's like back at home in the U.S. if you're partying till 3am-5am in the night clubs something bad can happen. We (mothers and teen daughters) are also going from 3/30-4/6/18 and staying in a resort and don't plan to be out of the resort too late, to avoid any issues. Hope You have fun!! Cheers!

Auburn, California
3 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Safety in Cancun
Save

Thanks! That's exactly when we are going! You have fun too and be safe!

Illinois
Level Contributor
787 posts
162 reviews
88 helpful votes
4. Re: Safety in Cancun
Save

We went twice last year and going back end of april/beginning of may for the 8th time, can't wait. Always felt safe. Not giving it a second thought. Hope to do it twice this year again at the Riu Cancun.

Edited: 5 years ago
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
13 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Safety in Cancun
Save

"Not even going to the bathroom alone" Wow, now thats pretty much taking it to the point of sheer insanity. Does the media really make you feel like your resort will be like a scene out of the movie classic "King Kong with Fay Wray?' circa 1933

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
138 posts
30 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Safety in Cancun
Save

We returned last week or so. Family of four, mom dad and two kids. Wife read all the crap before we leaft, got there and all fears dissappeared. We walked downtown, rode the ferrys, went to markets, did it all, never felt unsafe. Felt fine at all times. We were not in strange palces at strange times, just where people are at all times. We would return tomorrow if we could. Go and you will see what I mean. Have fun .

Chilliwack, Canada
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
55,024 posts
7. Re: Safety in Cancun
Save

Agree Chris

Thought of this verse

Paranoia strikes deep

Into your life it will creep

It starts when you're always afraid

You step out of line, the man come and take you away

We are soon heading down for 7 weeks (and not staying at a resort) - looking forward to relaxation

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Safety in Cancun
Save

You all will have a wonderful safe trip. We just got back today our kids are 4 and 8 stayed at fiesta Americana coral beach. I would suggest you arrange travel to from the airport, we used BDT or best day travel. You are more likely to encounter an act of terror here in the US , more likely to be shot in DC Chi and NYC. Stick to the resort mind your alcohol in take and all will be well ! No worries . Armored vehicles and police presence was obvious even on the main road leading into the tourist hotel strip ; they are stopping and searching vehicles . The govt needs to keep Cancun safe.... we truly felt safe . Good luck .

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
13 reviews
12 helpful votes
9. Re: Safety in Cancun
Save

VSD...Buffalo Springfield was the perfect Segway to describe the paranoia that relates to this.....

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Safety in Cancun
Save

We just returned today from Cancun. I also read everything and got very upset over nothing. We travelled with our daughter who is 11. No issues walked to do local shopping took excursions and even went over to Isla Murjese. At no time did we feel unsafe. We took the same precautions as we do in the states and common sense. I would stick with reputable companies for airport transfers & excursions. Enjoy!

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.