We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri-la

Glenview, Illinois
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Shangri-la

Which tower would have the best views of the bay? Also, my 2 choices to stay are Velas Vallarta and Shangri-la, which do you think would be more fun for a family with older teens?

Omaha
Level Contributor
529 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Shangri-la

I would imagine towers 1 & 2 have the best views. I have been in towers 2 & 5 and 2 was better than 5, but it was also on a much higher floor, so I would think that would have a lot to do with it as well.

Shangri La is a private condo and doesn't have any activities per se. It has 2 pools, one heated and one not and a little bar/restaurant. Tends to be a pretty relaxing atmosphere. It is directly across the street from access to the Marina boardwalk.

Can't speak about Velas Vallarta. Maybe someone else can help.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,174 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Shangri-la

I agree, if you have teenagers stay at the Velas. Shangri La being a private condominium complex and not a resort hotel, they won't have the activities that Velas does (as a resort hotel).

Shangri La has a beautiful pool area, but I'm pretty sure the kids would be bored brainless inside 15 minutes.

Velas has lovely grounds, nice rooms, and plenty of pool and beach activity. I've only snacked at the Velas but been told the food in the restaurants is very good.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
3. Re: Shangri-la

Here is a link to the Shagri La property website http://www.tresmares.mx/, if you click on the drop down menu for Shangri La, and then the location tab you will get an aerial view of the property. Tower 1 is closest to the water. I think the way the towers are situated every unit has an unobstructed view of the bay. We have stayed in tower 4, 9th floor the last 3 years and thought the view was great.

We are typically there for two weeks in February and as the previous poster noted, it's a pretty laid back and relaxing atmosphere. And in the time we've spent there I can't remember seeing any teenagers, but we haven't been there during a school break/vacation time.

I think it depends on what your kids want to do, certainly a resort vs. a private condo will have more on site activities that might keep the kids occupied. Off site, they are tons of activities/tours that would interest most teens, and of course the city itself is great for exploring.

Omaha
Level Contributor
529 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Shangri-la

freezebaby - good link.

If you look at the first pic in the picture gallery on the link, I would bet that is from tower 4 if not even 5 and it still has a pretty decent view.

I have been there at Thanksgiving ans Spring Break time and have seen some teens and younger kids and they seemed content. I guess it depends on if yours want to be "entertained" while at the condo/resort and how much time you plan on staying there.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
28,174 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Shangri-la

I've been in tower 3 and it still had a pretty good view of the ocean.

6. Re: Shangri-la

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2012, 23:20