We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Mayto

Level Contributor
54 posts
Road to Mayto
Save

Does anyone know whether the road from El Tuito to Mayto has been improved lately? The bus used to run out there years ago, but lost too many driveshafts. Has it started up again? Gracias!

9 replies to this topic
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
4,485 posts
237 reviews
81 helpful votes
1. Re: Road to Mayto
Save

I don't about improved but it fine to drive. Just be careful and watch for speed bumps. Salud.

Level Contributor
54 posts
2. Re: Road to Mayto
Save

Good to know - thanks! If I can take a bus rather than rent a car, that would be my preference, but will check the bus service when I get to town..

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
17,421 posts
272 reviews
251 helpful votes
3. Re: Road to Mayto
Save

Last time we were on that road (two years ago), we saw a huge tarantula 🕷 right in the middle of it. We all screamed! Then we cranked our heads to look back at it as we drove on by. Haha.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Road to Mayto
Save

There is no bus service. You can take an Uber taxi (El Tuito style) lol, it is a motorcycle with a big box that holds 4 people. There are a couple of regular taxis in El Tuito. The road is open but every-time it rains they have to go in and fix it.

Deana saw a tarantula, we saw a coral snake.

Level Contributor
54 posts
5. Re: Road to Mayto
Save

Thanks, yes I have taken a taxi before and will do it again! Anything to see Fernando and Maricela at Hotel Rinconcito, but really don't want to encourage anyone to go - figure most here are not up for it anyway. Good for you for making the trip!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
10 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: Road to Mayto
Save

Checked Rome2Rio app, found info,, bus schedule on Unibuspv site ,,,

Level Contributor
54 posts
7. Re: Road to Mayto
Save

Thanks, I'll check it out. It's always a good site, hopefully up to date. Cheers!

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
11,107 posts
9 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: Road to Mayto
Save

It is a fun trip and Mayto is well worth it. Enjoy it before it develops and the serenity, charm and beauty are lost.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
9. Re: Road to Mayto
Save

We were on it last spring. They were just finishing repairs from the previous November storm. Would not be surprised it was damaged again.

There was some nasty potholes.

Love Mayto, just drive carefully!

Reply to: Road to Mayto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.