We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shambala....the new Disco Beach

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
Shambala....the new Disco Beach

Finally had a look around while not driving and saw Disco Beach is now called "Shambala" (gosh I hope I got that right?)

Anyways they must have had a name change before New Year but just never noticed in the daytime and never drove by there at night. Guess I've been at the other end of town.??

Too bad the new street lights are not completed yet around the bay but where they are looks bright and lit up!

After tomorrow peace and calmness should return and less traffic as the grand exodus was today from the Holidays.

Quite a bit of snow birds around though as Snork says and it is quite a bit quieter already....Nice weather though....

Edited: 09 January 2012, 18:29
Bedford, Michigan
Level Contributor
481 posts
1 review
1. Re: Shambala....the new Disco Beach

Is it just the upstairs renamed? Or is the actual Disco Beach, (downstairs) renamed? I hope its just the upstairs bar. I didn't care if 3 people were in Disco Beach, I still loved it. Went there the 1st night I ever stepped foot in Acapulco and haven't stopped going since.

I have such good memories from there.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Shambala....the new Disco Beach

Not sure about beach level, but for sure upper level, will have to have soeone check it out for you...........

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Shambala....the new Disco Beach

Beach level is still Disco Beach. Passed by midnight on Friday and there were about 15 people upstairs (some of whom looked like workers) with maybe 5 or 6 in Tacos and Beer. Generally the whole strip was dead - and that was a weekend! Street lights etc. are fine but what needs a facelift is all the derelict buildings and empty storefronts from Calinda to Diana - trash piled in doorways and graffiti everywhere. It reminds me of New Orleans after Katrina - very sad.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Shambala....the new Disco Beach

Well what I saw last night was the sign all along the upper front SHAMBALA and assumed, as it had all the same color efects, lighting, etc it was the new place, with a new name street level. but could it be really NEW??

But will check it out again today, although not most likely in person - "on site"

Not much action though on the costera except for car traffic.....

Again the PRIME HOUSE steak restaurant in Costa Azul has, we think, a pretty good deal for the money and a great tasting juicy prime rib!

(Old chef of D:J:) $280.00 for the Jr. cut Prime Rib, plus salad bar and a nice sized baked potato with great sour cream.................

Also good creme of spinach soup or corn?

Lots of new little places open in Costa Azul and really some cheap, taco places just a hole in the wall type. There is an Argentinan restaurant also we plan to try soon. Lots of dinner compromises coming up with alot of "our " s.birds friends coming in and we look for new & cheap!! AND GOOD OF COURSE!!!

Edited: 10 January 2012, 03:52
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Shambala....the new Disco Beach

SteveMex, that's the same thing that I said... they need to spruce up those empty storefronts in that area, they are an eyesore. When I was there Rudy, Acasun, and I were discussing that, and Acasun came up with a brilliant idea: that the city should put some of those great Acapulco artists to work on perhaps painting some murals over storefronts (etc) that are currently vacant and needing a facelift. On the block that I had mentioned previously, the only business currently open when I was there was an OXXO. Evidently during the recent hard times, those merchants could no longer afford the high costera rents among other things and had to relocate/vacate.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Shambala....the new Disco Beach

...Speaking of artists, does anyone know what happened to that airbrush artist that used to set up by the Senor Frogs near Diana Circle? He was conspicuously absent when I was there last month. I finally bought an example of his work last year (for 60 pesos) which currently resides on a wall in my den.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Shambala....the new Disco Beach

If the local government painted all those empty storefronts you know what would happen? All those property owners would increase their rents even more so there'd be even less chance of letting them out!!

I watched the football Saturday night at Mother Hubbards and that little plaza was very busy. Prime House had people as did a music bar there and Mother Hubbards had several groups both inside and outside. The owner of Hubbards is really a piece of work though - he just sits at the bar glaring at everyone. One poor Chicago woman tried to engage him in conversation and he just barked something at her and she bore a hasty retreat. What is it with American bar owners (that Motowns guy was really rude too)?

Peterborough & the...
Level Contributor
505 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Shambala....the new Disco Beach

Steve Mex

New Orleans after Katrina, may that is sad. Just 8 years ago I was there with 15 people on a Friday night in January and we had a blast,. The fact that there was no one there at midnight on a Friday, even any time of the year, what does that say ?

Snork or anyone else on the ground, how is Paradise doing ??

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
256 reviews
9. Re: Shambala....the new Disco Beach

Lacallie

I've bought 1-2 pictures from that guy every year he's been around since the late 80's and we have always loved his work. I hope he's there in Feb but who knows maybe he moved with things slow.

There is no excuse for trash in the storefronts the city should be doing a better job.

Acapulco!!
Level Contributor
4,496 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Shambala....the new Disco Beach

I don't see that there is trash in front of the store fronts except for the writing on the windows and walls..

AND being "on the Ground"??...

......... that is the problem Snork is on the ground!! Ha Ha

only giving him a bad time.. sounds like he has been behaving !!!.

-above ground at B Negras was MT last night - early -8:15

Paradise too, but Sunday nite is usually slow.

Get answers to your questions about Acapulco