We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Things

Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
Two Things

Arriving in a few months for a week. Was all set to book the Schooner Cays tour but after looking at the photos I’m thinking it’s not what I’m looking for…

1. Swimming pool (Listerine) colored water (any depth) that I can jump into.

2. Lots of good sized fish to snorkel above

May be two separate locations. Not interested in swimming pigs or feeding rays. Small group okay.

Any place like that around Eleuthra on or off shore? Shallow reefs? Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Nassau, New...
Destination Expert
for Bahamas
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
1. Re: Two Things

What part of Eletuerha will you be staying? It's a long island, so it would be helpful to point ou to something close to where you're staying. Have you already booked?

Some private rentals have pools, as do some hotels, but you'll find most hotels only offer the pool t their own guests. With gin-clear waters, most people aren't interested in a swimming pool, and the colours van vary -- especially in photos, so I'd not read too much into that.

As for tours, there are a number of smaller group or private tours, depending on what part of the island you will be. Will you have a car? Obviously, a private tour will allow you to create your own itinerary and not do the pigs, rays, etc. Are you bringing your own snorkelling gear? There i salso some DIY snorkelling from shore.

Level Contributor
155 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Two Things

Staying in North Palmetto Point. Bringing snorkel gear. Renting a car. Willing to drive to either end of the island. Just referenced the swimming pool for the color. (We’re coming from Arizona, LOTS of pools out here, don’t need that!) I’ll email some of the tour operators although aside from their boat and knowledge of the area I’m not really looking for a TOUR, per se….

Thanks for the quick response.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
39 reviews
50 helpful votes
3. Re: Two Things

The Atlantic side of the island can be tough for getting a calm day to snorkel, especially in North Palmetto Point - it's the angle of the island and the way the waves hit the beach there. Probably 90% of the entance to the water along that area is rock ledges.

You will not be far from one of the best tour Captains on the island - Captain Julius "Bubba" Rankine; Fishbone Tours, Savannah Sound. Plus their restaurant is fantastic, set just off the water to the North Sound. The best Lobster Quesadillas!

https://fishbonetours.com/

If you shoot steel darts bring them to Fishbones and try your throwing with the locals. Watchout the Rankine family are experts!

Edited: 23 February 2024, 08:46
Gloucester, Virginia
Level Contributor
197 posts
10 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Two Things

Eleuthera Tours in Deep Creek can take you to both. They are first class.

Reply to: Two Things
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Eleuthera
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.