We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All day snokeling to the Baths & etc.

Birdsboro...
Level Contributor
193 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
All day snokeling to the Baths & etc.

I was looking into using "Bad Kitty" or New Horizons II and have read reviews where both of them taxi you to the "baths", I was hoping to swim in . Other than where they take you for lunch, they both seem comparable. Is either one better than the other. Need a boat with shaded area and not too crowded. Also, we are staying in the Coral Bay area renting from St John Car, where do we park the jeep for the day while we are on this trip? St John Car seems to get excited if we want to park in their parking lot during the day for any length of time.

NH
Level Contributor
851 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: All day snokeling to the Baths & etc.

We took the New Horizons trip a few years ago and we did swim in to the baths so ask if the captain will let you- I don't remember how many people were on board but I didn't feel crowded. As far as the car we were able to find a spot near the VI dock to park but we were in town early. I am sure you will have a good time make sure you bring a lot of sunscreen and cash for your soggy dollars on Jost:)

Ohio
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All day snokeling to the Baths & etc.

We used a private charter Lion in Da Sun for 3 adults. They do 1/2 and full day trips, but gave us a very generous 1/2 day that probably was like 6 hrs. They will create a day based on what you want to do depending on how long looking to stay at different places.

Ohio
Level Contributor
118 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All day snokeling to the Baths & etc.

Also there was some areas around the Cruz Bay area that had free public parking, especially if leaving early in a.m., other wise worst case is there are some areas you can park all day for $10 if you cant park at the car rental place during the day.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
606 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All day snokeling to the Baths & etc.

I would highly recommend Pirates Penney/Stormey Petrel - www.piratespenney.com. I know they weren't one of your choices, but it is a smaller outfit - max of 12 people - we had a BLAST! They offer two choices in regards to snorkeling and the baths. We did the Baths/Jost trip last year - so the only snorkeling we did was at the Baths, their other trip has more snorkleing - but Soggy Dollar was a must for us, so we opted for the Jost stop. We had a time that I don't think can be beaten.

We had such a blast on the trip that we are probably going to charter them in July for our custom BVI day.

Boston
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All day snokeling to the Baths & etc.

We took the Limnos Charter over about 3 years ago and loved it. Its a large boat, kind of like a small ferry, with plenty of shade and room. They took us to Spanishtown and we took a van from there which gave us a chance to see a little of Virgin Gorda. The water at the Baths was chock full of boats and people snorkling (for what, I don't know as there is no coral there) but you could swim right off the beach at the Baths if you wanted to. I don't see that it would be very different than jumping off a boat really but that's my opinion. Some of those charters that anchored were crammed with people which we didn't want any part of. We snorkled at Norman's Island on the way back which was terrific since it includes time to snorkle into the opening of a cave. I would highly recommend this charter. BTW, they did serve lunch and lots of drinks but it was NOT a party boat if that's what you're looking for.

NH
Level Contributor
851 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: All day snokeling to the Baths & etc.

Was reading another forum and it was stated that New Horizons has changed the policy and you do indeed take a cab in for Baths. However Bad Kitty will let you swim in to the baths( this was stated by an employee). Bad Kitty gets good solid reviews but I have never taken the trip.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: All day snokeling to the Baths & etc.

I am the "employee" on the other forum :) To be 100% I called NH today while at work and they confirmed they do indeed take a taxi and walk to the Baths. Bad Kitty and Stormey Petrol are the only ones that use a mooring ball and you swim in.

Pia

ps: let me know if I can take care of your booking for you :)

NH
Level Contributor
851 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: All day snokeling to the Baths & etc.

Pia - I just didn't want to put your name out there- plus I thought you would check in:)

9. Re: All day snokeling to the Baths & etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2011, 16:56
Get answers to your questions about St. John