We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR Day 7: Haulover North and Mangroves.

Pa.
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
10,658 posts
187 reviews
92 helpful votes
TR Day 7: Haulover North and Mangroves.
Save

Got to HN to favorable conditions. S-a-r-g-a-s-s-u-m (not doing that again!!) was stinky, so we got in on the big rocks to the left. Swam left to goweed point, swam against current most of the way, but it was slight. It shifted at the point and we had a lunch date, so turned around. This is a really beautiful snorkel.

Saw a cluster of teeny baby Christmas tree worms that were like peas in different colors, pretty hamlets, chain moray, puffer, angels, I think a honeycomb trunk, squid, and a new fish: built like a hamlet, iridescent white with a black dot on the tail(like butterfly fish) and blue spots on the nose. His fins looked fluorescent yellow in the light?? The soft corals are amazing.

The best part was the tagalong fish haha. He came near me for a minute, but realized DH was the leader of the pack and wouldn’t leave him the whole time, dove down with him and everything. He hung mostly on his neck ot the crook of his arm, so cute.

Planned to meet Dana and another nurse for lunch at Miss Lucy’s-closed for private party. Everything else closed but Skinny’s, so begrudgingly went. Had one of the worst meals in the history of my life there years ago and we never went back-it was excellent and our new friend is an avid snorkeler too, beyond what we have done, though she does get out alot! Might kayak and snorkel with her next trip.

Off to Princess. Our new friend told us the little cove in Water Creek was relatively spared in the storms, so we headed out. Surprised how deep the swim out was between the creeks, over 50 and very sharp drop from shoreline.

If sea cucumbers and dental floss worms were a commodity, I could retire! Saw one small upside down jelly and one stingray, surprised there aren’t more rays and turtles out here. Did see a green moray, loads of anemones and baby fish, a burrfish, lots of sea slugs and arrow crabs, feather duster worms the size of plates, and what looked like small chunks of grooved brain coral throughout, but it was bright yellow and some had bright green edges. I love all the roots and stuff hiding and lots of pretty colors.

We swam out of the little cove away from entry to look for the canon and anchor, but found neither. It was getting late and we had a long swim so turned back...maybe our new friend can show us next time!

I got turned around for a minute thinking we made it by Otter creek, but couldn’t figure why the ruins were to my left and not right?? We didn’t swim straight across Water so had to continue around the next peninsula. Got my bearings back...seriously, it is one way in and out haha, and hugged the east side all the way to the car. There are some super cool rock formations there and a little bit of living roots, so that is a nice spot for a quick swim.

Dinner from Daves Homemade to go again and met our new neighbors and gave them some first timer tips. Nice young couple.

On an aside, a family had donkeys in the middle of the road feeding them. Sorry if it seemed like I was screaming “please don’t feed the donkeys,” but I was sitting in the jeep cargo area while dh kept driving away and was trying to make sure you could hear me. Do not want you to think I was being mean.

Another great day, last full day tomorrow:(

7 replies to this topic
Smithfield, Rhode...
Level Contributor
187 posts
1. Re: TR Day 7: Haulover North and Mangroves.
Save

Snorkeler, good for you! Don't feed the donkeys!

Your days are so busy, I could never keep up with you but I adore your reports!!!

Enjoy your final day and I'll look forward to your wrap up report.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
16 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: TR Day 7: Haulover North and Mangroves.
Save

Another great report! Lots of fun things you saw. If people were feeding the donkeys, they deserved to be yelled at (though I know you did not).

Delanco, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,405 posts
16 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: TR Day 7: Haulover North and Mangroves.
Save

That area of HN was new for me and really the highlight of this past trip but swimming through the sargassum patches was not fun. I Will definetly be hitting it again for sure.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
4. Re: TR Day 7: Haulover North and Mangroves.
Save

"built like a hamlet, iridescent white with a black dot on the tail(like butterfly fish) and blue spots on the nose. His fins looked fluorescent yellow in the light?"

Butter Hamlet. And it sounds like you need to travel with a copy of Reef Fish Identification.

Nederland, Texas
Level Contributor
156 posts
25 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: TR Day 7: Haulover North and Mangroves.
Save

Still jealous, BTW😘

Sounds like another fantastic day!!!

Level Contributor
71 posts
6. Re: TR Day 7: Haulover North and Mangroves.
Save

And here I thought Snorkeler's nickname already was "Reef Fish Identification" given how many fish she identifies in all of her trip reports over the years.

Pa.
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
10,658 posts
187 reviews
92 helpful votes
7. Re: TR Day 7: Haulover North and Mangroves.
Save

Thesteve...have them all, but quit lugging for travel. I look at home from my pics.

I meant to say honeycomb cowfish

Reply to: TR Day 7: Haulover North and Mangroves.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.