We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single female mid 30s - is T&C right?

Washington, DC
5 posts
Save Topic
Single female mid 30s - is T&C right?

Hi everyone,

I have been on and off this forum lately and it seems really helpful. I am a single female (mid 30s) looking to go to T&C for 5 or 6 nights by myself. I am very well traveled - have been all over the world by myself for work in developing countries (I do intl development work). However, I have never vacationed by myself. Vacationing is very different than business travel by yourself. Normally, I don't like to be alone doing something like this, so I thought T&C might be just the match. I am looking for relaxation - a beach, a book, a drink - druing the day and want to try different restaurants at night (I'll bring a book) or am the type that would be happy meeting folks in my hotel or elsewhere. I don't want a Club Med singles scene, I am not looking for nightlife, just a great dinner at different restaurants I can try and company if I find it. I don't want to be harrassed by locals and would like to be in an area that I can walk to other resorts/restaurants or take a shuttle.

My worry is the budget. I realize it is expensive, but my travel agent quoted me $2000 for Jan/Feb travel.

Could anyone recommend whether T&C would be the best destination for someone like me and what hotel would be best. I didn't want to spend more than $1500 at most if that is possible.

Thanks.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single female mid 30s - is T&C right?

I am in my thirties as well and would definitely travel to T&C solo. It is a safe island and you will not be bothered by people trying to sell stuff.

I would recommend staying at the Sands or Ocean Club West due to their proximity to restaurants. Many of the resorts are offering specials right now. You could also look into Sibonne, Alexandra or Royal West Indies.

T&C is the perfect place to relax on the beach with a book and a drink. (the Sands has beach service if that matters)

Oakley, California
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Single female mid 30s - is T&C right?

I have traveled to Provo twice by myself. Both times staying at the Sands. Honestly, that price for high season sounds good to me. It is an expensive island. Try the Sibonne, it's right next to the Sands, more of a beach motel but you can't beat the location.

If I can answer any more questions regarding the single girl traveling, feel free to PM me...

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,170 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single female mid 30s - is T&C right?

Agree with InTheBurgh. T & C is a great destination to travel to by yourself. I never had a full vacation alone, however, have gone down earlier than the family.

Some of the resort bars are great spots to have dinner and a little chat with fellow vacationers or belongers.

You will not feel out of place, there are a few people that I hope chime. Wakechick is a great solo female traveler to T & C.

Mid priced resorts are The Sands, Ocean Club West, The Alexandra, Royal West Indies. The Sands has a night free, maybe some of the others do too.

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,170 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single female mid 30s - is T&C right?

Well wakechick beat me to the post! LOL!

Washington, DC
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Single female mid 30s - is T&C right?

InTheBurgh, Wakechick and Ajax,

Thanks so much! I think the Sands may be what I'm looking for. To narrow down a bit further, I'm not a kid hater, but would rather not be at the beach or pool with millions of them. I also want to be fairly centrally located along the "resort strip" since it is my first time. Ironic, as I was looking at all 3-4 of the hotels you all recommended. I don't need luxury but I'm not looking for "beach motel" either. I am not so much concerned about the actual room than the resort/facility itself. I want a nice enough (and big enough) place with a good restaurant, good beach, nice bar(s) inside or out, etc. I think a resort rather than motel is better for me being by myself. All the info I have is from this forum and it seems that RWI beach may be a bit crowded and location not as good. Alexandra has some bad reviews from people who just went this month (although I realize that is subjective depending who you are and your experiences).

Also, do you think it would be better if I waited til March/April on price point? I don't need to go soon and my schedule is flexible. If I could get a better price, I could wait a couple months.

Also, what restaurants would you recommend for me? I know there are many posts about this, but I'm hesitant to get into a "romantic" environment also when I'm alone!

Denver Colorado
Level Contributor
342 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single female mid 30s - is T&C right?

SoloDC,

Read Blamonas report she just added. Her report should be very helpful for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.

Your gonna love Turks!!

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single female mid 30s - is T&C right?

I would have to agree with everyone that Turks would be very safe for a single traveler. I would not hesitate to travel by myself either to Turks or send any of my single female friends.

The Sands is a wonderful resort and have personally stayed on the property on two occasions. I love the screened in porches and the suites are spacious.

The Somerset is another property that is really nice, but you might have to consider a lockout with your budget.

It is very classy and the atmosphere would provide a very relaxing vacation. The grounds are spectacular and the service is great. It usually is not overrun with children.

Sibonne as others have mentioned is located right on the same beach and is more like a motel. have only looked into the basic rooms, but Bay Bistro is very good and we have had many great meals there.

My favorite lunch is their salad nicoise and jerk chicken wrap.

Turks would be a perfect destination for a solo traveler.

Mike

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
15,962 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single female mid 30s - is T&C right?

My first trip to T&C was solo, I loved it so much I when I got married, i made my husband go-now he only wants his T&C!

My best rec? When you get there, go on an excursion, you'll meet families that you'll keep running into. It's also a good icebreaker to where other people will be hanging out.

Other ideas: eat Wed night at Tiki Hut, Thursday night at Da Conch Shack, Friday tapas at O'Soleil, Sunday back at Tiki Hut. Wed nights are rib night, many locals go eat. The other nights, Daniel and Nadine sing and are awesome! Da Conch Shack will be a little more rocking, O'Soleil a little more subduded. they are easy to dance too-even by yourself, and people around you will start talking.

You can always meet locals, especially ex-pats at Danny Bouys.

If you invite me along-I'll give you the "Blamona tour". ;-)

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single female mid 30s - is T&C right?

SoloDC,

The Sands is family friendly but it certainly is not over run with children either.

I enjoy sitting at the bar at Hemingways. Have met some interesting people there.

If you could hold off until mid to late April the rates drop.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single female mid 30s - is T&C right?

Hi, I have done two solo trips to Provo as well and highly recommend it. I stayed at RWI and the Alexandra. I would stay at either again. I also would consider the Sands for a future trip. I had heard that Sands and OCW get more kids, but I am not sure if that is true or not, and it probably varies by time of year. If you don't want your trip to coincide with school breaks, I would suggest going now through mid-February (before President's Day) or waiting until late April, when hotel rates typically go down.

I have been to several of the restuarants from casual to moderate to one of the most high-end places (Coyaba), and I never felt awkward. I skipped places like Grace's Cottage and Anacoana, which many people go to for romantic dinners.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Get answers to your questions about Providenciales