We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stranded couple…. News report

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,083 posts
132 reviews
49 helpful votes
Stranded couple…. News report

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/how-did-this-happen-mississauga-couple-stranded-in-turks-and-caicos-after-passports-stolen-1.6776068

12 replies to this topic
Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
1 review
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Stranded couple…. News report

That’s terrible. So sad

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
586 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Stranded couple…. News report

This is so distressing for them. And not reported on the Police media in TCI. Some years ago I found a passport at the side of the road. It had been abandoned after a bag was stolen.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
8 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Stranded couple…. News report

Yes, saw this on the news this morning. They also posted on FB, but I believe the thread was removed after a couple of days.

It’s not surprising at all that CTV hasn’t received a response from the TCI police nor the fact that it wasn’t mentioned ion their FB page.

I hope they manage to get back home soon…I can’t imagine the stress.

North Caicos
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales
Level Contributor
8,317 posts
19 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Stranded couple…. News report

That is really too bad. Not blaming the victims at all, but even over 10 years ago we always locked up our passports and anything else valuable in the safe, and didn’t stay anywhere that didn’t have a safe on Provo.

I hope the gov here does right by them and gets them out.

Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Stranded couple…. News report

Sorry for the folks but Joebwan said what I was going to say - we only stay places with a safe for our valuables when traveling to another country.

Turks and Caicos
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
11 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: Stranded couple…. News report

Pretty sure there was a safe, just not big enough for the laptops.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5,931 posts
139 reviews
175 helpful votes
7. Re: Stranded couple…. News report

Or passports. And when your nearest consulate is Jamaica, keeping passports safe should be a priority. Not sure travel insurance would cover cost of replacements but I understand having travel insurance isn’t common.

Hamilton...
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
75 reviews
81 helpful votes
8. Re: Stranded couple…. News report

Having been robbed at a cottage at a high-end resort in Jamaica, I can totally relate to the victims. We were robbed during the night while sleeping. They broke in thru a window in the kitchen. We did have a safe in the bedroom but we didn't put everything in there as we never left the cottage from the night before. We were robbed the night of our arrival. They took money, a Bose headset, and the passports. Luckily, since we were in Jamaica we were able to get our passports replaced within a few days but had to travel 2.5 hours to Kingston from Ocho Rios. We definitely believe it was an inside job. What we did learn is that as soon as you get into your room, place all valuables in the safe. If you happen to stay somewhere before you get to your final destination, like a hotel to make your connection easier, do not leave your passport in your room,. Some of those places do not have safes. Carry the passports with you to your meals or whatever else you are doing. This happened in 2006, and I still remember how violated we felt. In addition, don't assume that staying at a deluxe property ensures your safety. You need to take your own precautions.

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
57 reviews
27 helpful votes
9. Re: Stranded couple…. News report

I travel with a flash drive that has passport, birth certificate, drivers license, marriage cert etc and it does not leave my person during travel nor safe when at destination.

Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Stranded couple…. News report

If you're "pretty sure there was a safe", it had to be big enough for passports! 🙄

Reply to: Stranded couple…. News report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.