We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single female going to Grand Cayman

US
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Single female going to Grand Cayman

I'm planning a trip to Grand Cayman this summer. I am a 29 year old female and will be going by myself. I won't be out late partying and will spend most of my time diving or on the beach. I will most likely stay in the Westin or the Marriot. Will I be pretty safe by myself? Any opinions on which hotel is safer or are they pretty similar?

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single female going to Grand Cayman

Don't forget you wits or street smarts and you should be safe at either.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single female going to Grand Cayman

I took my first trip alone to GC when I was just a little younger. I had already been to the island twice, so I was a little familiar. I had first stayed at the Marriott, but thought it was a little to 'busy' for me, and headed up north and stayed at the Westin time and again. I found the beach to be far superior, and that really made up my mind. The swim up bar is always a great place to make conversation and meet new people. I also really enjoy the bar in the lobby. There are 4 restaurants across the street you can walk to, as well as a liquor store; and don't forget about the hotel restaurants. If you're renting a car the lot is lit really well at night. But of course, always use common sense when venturing out alone. Have a great time!!!

BKK
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single female going to Grand Cayman

Definitely safe any place you are likely to go.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single female going to Grand Cayman

I would choose the Westin over the Marriott. Very nice location, pretty part of the beach, excellent facilities.

GC is, perhaps, the safest of the Caribbean islands. From the Westin you can walk lots of places, even to town if you don't mind a long hike (daytime). The island is clean, friendly, and safe. That being said, you have to take normal precautions no matter where you go in the world. Bad things happen most often late at night in sketchy places when people have been drinking and are not familiar with a town, neighborhood, etc. Take a cab at night.

Also, we had fun taking the local bus. It's really just a big van like some of the taxis, but LOTS cheaper. And you get a chance to see a bit of the island and talk to the locals. Be sure, however, that you don't go to the other side of the island on a bus without asking when and where to catch a bus back.

If you rent a car, driving on the island is on the left, but a lot easier than driving in the mountainous Virgins. Cayman is flat as a pancake, none of those hairpin curves, and pretty good signage. You've chosen the perfect place to go as a single. Have fun!

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
177 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single female going to Grand Cayman

I agree that although The marriott very nice, as a single the Westin layout of beach, bars, lobby, proximity to other eating all good. Yes be sensible, not clubbing alone a good idea, but good public local music at Decker's Restaraunt (a quick bus or taxi ride) to hear Hi Tide local group, or check newspapers, concierge for local events ...lots to do days like Stingray city, can join in on island guided tours where someone else drives but fun stops...see whole island.

Enjoy!

runvustravel
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Single female going to Grand Cayman

I would strongly advise you read online some of the local newspapers before you complete your travel plans. Sadly there has been a very big increase in crime and now the tourists are starting to be attacked. Cayman News Service has the most up to date news. Maybe consider one of the other smaller islands, Little Cayman or Cayman Brac, if you are looking to just relax and getting in the water.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single female going to Grand Cayman

I hope that anyone who reads the above post realizes that while it's always ALWAYS smart to be careful of your surroundings while traveling, please be sure to be weary of single posters. I would no means change my travel plans - as a single traveler . This single instance should not be meant as a deterent for travel, but as a reminder that there are bad seeds whereever we go, and to always be on alert, especially when not familiar with your surroundings.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Single female going to Grand Cayman

While the recent attack on the US Coast Guard sailor is most troubling, but suggesting people head for the Sister Islands is a bit extreme. I was reticent to post the link to the news story in the other thread, but since the crime affected a tourist, I felt compelled to share the information. Vigilance and avoiding unsavory situation when possible is key to being as safe as possible.

runvustravel
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Single female going to Grand Cayman

Most people travel to an island for the weather, water or just getting away from the stress of everyday life. Yes there are those that like the nightlife and shopping. Just reads some the comments made by the local people,Cayman New Service, and then decide if you will feel safe walking around in either day or night. Grand Cayman has way more crime than an Island of it's size should have. The sister islands may not have as much to do but they are safer and if that is what she is concerned about then that is where she should visit. The sun and water is just as nice there as it is in Grand Cayman. I always go to the smaller islands since they have more island charm than the bigger islands. But again this is my idea of a real vacation

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single female going to Grand Cayman

runvu, have you been to any of the 3 islands? Please share your experiences. I disagree with the notion of advising people to head to other islands but realize you get to express your opinion.

ScubaCat, I prefer the Westin over Marriott because of beach. With safety, just do as you would at home. I think you'll find a few other people in similar situations--traveling alone. I'm not a diver but it does seem that once on a dive boat, you end up making immediate friends and perhaps will end up being able to meet up for drinks or dinner. Have fun!

Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman