We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All in a day??

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
All in a day??

My husband and I are staying at Heritage Inn in June and plan to rent a jeep one of the days to explore the island. We were thinking of stopping at Smugglers Cove, heading up to Josiahs Bay (and having lunch) and then ending the day at Brewers. Can anyone let me know how long it takes to get from Smugglers to Josiahs in a rental? Does this sound like we are being too ambitious- or does it seem like we will still have time to enjoy ourselves at each beach?

British Virgin...
Level Contributor
843 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: All in a day??

It's a small island, shouldn't be a problem.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,910 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: All in a day??

You can see the entire island in a day. I am curious why you are having lunch at Josiah's Bay? There is not much there and much better lunch places IMO.

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,968 posts
154 reviews
3. Re: All in a day??

We would have a hard time leaving Smuggler's but yes, you will have time. I would make a quick stop at Long Bay (Tortola) where the Long Bay Resort is and walk that beach for a bit. Beautiful, picture postcard beach.

Enjoy your stay at the HI, we loved it there. Chris, Bonkey and the rest of the staff were wonderful and the view from your balcony is unparalled. If you are there on a Friday Rueben Chinnery is a musician from Jost's and performs during happy/dinner hour. His CD's (and Quito's) keep me company up here in the north.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: All in a day??

I had read online that there was a great casual place there on the beach. We just want something with a great view, casual atmosphere with good food & cocktails. Can you recommend something similar?

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,968 posts
154 reviews
5. Re: All in a day??

I would suggest Nicole's in Brewers. Our favorite spot for lunch is Stanley's Welcome Bar in Cane Garden Bay, excellent burger and fish tacos. You go past that bay on the way to Josiah's and Brewers. CGB gets pretty bust during the day with cruise ships but is still worth seeing, especially during happy hour. But if time permits rhat's an option. Myett's next door has a good burger too but Stanley's has always been the place for us. But Nicole's would make more sense since you're already hitting 3 bays.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,910 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: All in a day??

I like the food at Sebastians which is in Little Apple Bay, very near Smugglers. At Cane Garden Bay my favorite restaurant hands down is Elm, but I have only had dinner there. They have a great BBQ and Lobster night. My second favorite is Quitos. The Tamarind Club which is near Josiah's Bay is supposed to have a very good restaurant. One of my favorite places on the island is de Loose Mongoose on Trellis Bay - it is a great place to eat. If you end up in Roadtown during your trip, there is a very good Italian Restaurant called Cappricio di Mare which is also very reasonable. It is across from the ferry dock.

I think the place at Josiah's is called Naomis. I don't remember if they do food or just drinks and snacks. Also the water is often not swimmable at Josiah's and the current can be very strong, so be careful if you go there. There is also a Long Bay on the east end of Tortola, near Josiah's that is nice, but no facilities.

If you need a rental car, there is Dels just down the street near the Bakery. (he is Stanley's son - of Cheeseburger fame listed above!). We always rent from him.

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,968 posts
154 reviews
7. Re: All in a day??

Saffie I generally rate all of the restaurants in CGB as having decent bar food. We've had dinners at all of them and none ever compared to Sebastian's for us. Sebastian's isn't anything fancy like the Sugar Mill down the road of course, but is (as you know) a very casual and comfortable place with great local dishes and what a sunset over the water! We once went to SM for dinner and while having cocktails and waiting for our table we just felt so uncomfortable from the stuffy atmosphere we walked to Sebastian's and it's been our spot ever since.

We do love Tony and the girls at Stanley's and that is THE cheeseburger in paradise for us.

We haven't yet eaten at Tamarind or Nicole's in Brewer's or Icis Villas which is just up from Brewer's. But there's been a long-running "discussion" on TTOL on who has the best burger on Tortola - Stanley's or Nicole's - so we're destined to hit Nicole's next visit to compare.

Rough life, Tortola...

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
112 reviews
8. Re: All in a day??

Haven't had a burger at Stanley's but have eaten at Nicole's and it was delicious! Of course, that was after snorkeling Brewer's for an hour and half, but even those in our family who didn't snorkel Brewer's loved Nicole's hamburgers. Enjoy your trip, alashas http://www.youtube.com/user/honeymoon2

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
438 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: All in a day??

Stanley's is no longer called Stanley's...is it the same as before? I spent a lot of time in CGB when I was there. It was wonderful. Go see Vishal and Prince at Myett's....he and Prince can serve up a serious painkiller. All this Tortola talk is really making me feel bad that i came back to NY!

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,968 posts
154 reviews
10. Re: All in a day??

The name changed?????

His cousin was running it for him, did something change?

That would be the end of an era, that's where the famous tire swing in the palm tree was until it was ripped out by a hurricane.

Prince has been tending bar at Val's for 8 years that I know of. He can be a little stuck-up but let that bother ya...

Edited: 20 March 2013, 12:55
Get answers to your questions about Tortola