We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time BVI seeking itinerary recommendations.

Belvidere, Illinois
3 posts
First time BVI seeking itinerary recommendations.
Save

Hello new to the forum. This will be the first time visiting the BVI early December 2024 for our 20th wedding anniversary 7-8 days flying from Chicago into EIS. Thinking about staying on Virgin Gorda at Little Dix Bay. Curious if you would recommend splitting our time on any other island in the BVI and if so which one? Budget is $10k for accommodations and travel. Important to us are uncrowded beaches, good food, good people, and snorkeling. We loved the water and privacy of Malcolm Beach in Turks and Caicos and small boutique feel of Rock House in Negril Jamaica if that helps understand our goals. Thanks everyone!

9 replies to this topic
New Paltz, New York
Destination Expert
for British Virgin Islands, Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
31 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: First time BVI seeking itinerary recommendations.
Save

I assume you have looked at pricing for LDB? Travel into the BVI is not cheap so to keep to your budget you will probably only be able to pick the smallest room LDB has to offer. Anything larger and you go over 10K just for the room. Meals in the BVI are expensive and LDB is VERY expensive ( and pretty taste specific)- having just a room means you will be eating all meals either on premises or somewhere else (including breakfast if you are breakfast people). So if you are at all trying to stick to a budget for the rest of the trip costs, you should be aware that it will add up super quick. I am not trying to dissuade you from LDB but you should be aware of all the costs. It is a gorgeous property!

I would not split my time on any other island. You can day trip anywhere from VG if you so choose. It's a very laid back island with wonderful people. It's also very safe. For the best snorkeling though you need to go off shore (this holds true for all the BVI). While there is some shore snorkeling it isn't terribly impressive.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
79 reviews
63 helpful votes
2. Re: First time BVI seeking itinerary recommendations.
Save

Agree with Dune. If your budget allows and you have not yet booked I would also suggest looking at Guana Island.

Belvidere, Illinois
3 posts
3. Re: First time BVI seeking itinerary recommendations.
Save

Dune thank you! We do plan to have a different budget for food and drink. We typically do two meals per day, usually breakfast and dinner. We are adventurous so I plan on renting a car and probably finding food off property. Any other place on VG that you would recommend staying other than LDB? Also, how is the swimming in December? I’ve read a few posts about swells and kind of rough water. Is that something we need to worry about?

Belvidere, Illinois
3 posts
4. Re: First time BVI seeking itinerary recommendations.
Save

Skiscubamom, Guana looks lovely. Maybe a place to consider for a second trip. I would love to see JVD, the Baths and possibly do a day trip to St. Johns or Anegada to snorkel if we could fit it in. LDB is pricey and we figure we’re probably looking at three grand potentially and food drink and excursions while we are there on top of flight/room. Thoughts about splitting our time in different resorts on Virgin Gorda?

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
79 reviews
63 helpful votes
5. Re: First time BVI seeking itinerary recommendations.
Save

I would not recommend splitting time on one island - only do this if you visit multiple islands. If you like luxury resorts - you will be happy at Little Dix. If in your budget, I would not consider other locations on VG. LD has a house reef that will provide some protection from swell but December does bring the Christmas winds and winter has more variable sea conditions. It is calmest late April onward.

New Paltz, New York
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
31 reviews
19 helpful votes
6. Re: First time BVI seeking itinerary recommendations.
Save

What is it specifically about LDB that appeals to you? Is it the property or do you like the idea of the service? While LDB is beautiful, you are paying for them to cater to your needs and it does sound like you plan to be out exploring most days and even spending whole days off island. Which, IMO is the best way! But if that's the case, you will be paying alot of money for bells and whistles you won't take full advantage of. On the other hand, if staying at a fine resort is important and you DO plan on spending time there, then you can't go wrong. Besides Oil Nut, it is the most luxury property on island.

I know I have always put so much thought into our villa choices over the years and sometimes I wonder why i bother. We are gone from AM-PM, eat out every meal and just come back to sleep most days. Like put me in a shipping container with a bed and outdoor shower and I am good! :)

I would not worry over the swimming conditions. We are usually there in late December and while yes, sometimes there can be swells you can always find someplace to go. Savannah, LDB, Mahoe, the protected area of Spring Bay and places within North Sound are your best bets. I have found Anegada to be the most limiting when conditions aren't good. The ferry over is rough and the wind whips across the island and currents and swells make it tough to find anyplace safe for swimming.

Edited: 24 February 2024, 03:03
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
79 reviews
63 helpful votes
7. Re: First time BVI seeking itinerary recommendations.
Save

Dune - I laughed at shipping container :). I am a self admitted lodging snob. Probably why my catamaran has so many high end finishes and extras. I could probably stand to be more like you. LOL.

Edited: 24 February 2024, 03:58
New Paltz, New York
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
31 reviews
19 helpful votes
8. Re: First time BVI seeking itinerary recommendations.
Save

Nothing wrong with being a lodging snob- Otherwise you might get bedbugs :)

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
79 reviews
63 helpful votes
9. Re: First time BVI seeking itinerary recommendations.
Save

😳

Reply to: First time BVI seeking itinerary recommendations.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about British Virgin Islands
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.