We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Female Traveler

new jersey
3 posts
Save Topic
Single Female Traveler

Hello All,

I am planning a 5 night stay in St Maarten/St Martin July 13-18 (My birthday treat to myself!). I'm having trouble deciding where I want to stay. I would like to know which is the best location for a single/female to experience the best of everything (or at least most of it)dining, a little nite life, beach/pool, shopping and SAFE. I won't have a car so I need someplace convenient as well (where taxis won't kill me, walking distance and/or public transportation is easily accessible. I don't need a luxury accommodation (I prefer to spend my money on dining/activities, etc., so a decent budget hotel will do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Readytogo08NewJersey

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
15,180 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Female Traveler

Hi, my suggestion is to book a timeshare property. They usually run 1/2 the price of a hotel and may even be less than many budget places that offer only a small room. You'll have a complete apartment with kitchen so you could save even more by eating some meals in the unit. Pamper yourself.

Next, where to stay. Look for units such as:

Pelican

Atrium

Royal Palm

Flamingo

La Vista

Royal Islander

These are close to dining & entertainment.

Divi

Belair

These are close to dining, shopping.

You'll find one of these on

vacationrentals4you.com/rentals/default.asp

If not, let me know and we can discuss some budget accommodations other than timeshares.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
450 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Female Traveler

As a single female traveler, I do not reccomend walking anywhere at night unless it is in the Maho area, or somewhere else very well lit and busy. As far as safety, I travelled to SXM about 4 years ago by myself, and I knew the island pretty well, as I had been there 15+ times before. After my last visit to the island, and after what I have heard and read since then, I would not go beack as a single female traveler. I will probably draw fire from some of the SXM devotees here, and I know there are many who will say to go and "just use common sense". This is simply my opinion, and one that I feel entitled to give as a 20+ year traveler to the island (at least once a year), and as the poster put "safe" in all caps. I really don't think SXM is the right place for someone who wants to walk, or use public transport, and still be near the other things they want to do. The only place I can think of that might fit the bill would be the Maho area, or somewhere in Orient Village. However, I wouldn't walk far in OV at night, and defeintely not on the beach.

ny
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Single Female Traveler

is it safe for a couple to visit the seculded beaches like Happy Bay?

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
15,180 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Female Traveler

Anytime you see the words "safe" and "seculded" used in the same sentence BE CAREFUL, no one can guarantee you'll be safe, you go to that beach at your own risk. Most likely it will be an enjoyable experience but..their is always a BUT....just my opinion...

CA
Level Contributor
180 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single Female Traveler

would stay right in Orient Beach which seemed pretty safe to us. You can walk almost everywhere. Plenty of bars, beach bars, restaurants and fine dining in grand case which is only 10 minutes away. I think Palm court hotel is very reasonable. Also orient Beach is a beautiful beach and is safe.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single Female Traveler

Enjoy your birthday gift to yourself! I have been going to SXM for many years in July and I am a single female traveler but I stay on the French side so I do rent a car so that i can experience the whole island. If you don't want to rent a car and want to be able to walk to places at night - I would suggest Maho just as a previous poster suggested. The only drawback is that you won't get to experience some fabulous beaches without a taxi or car.

But do consider renting a car - the island is very easy to get around and it is super cheap in the off-season. I spend less than $150/week in July. Taxis tend to be real expensive so this option works out cheaper.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Single Female Traveler

Your best bet is probably Maho Sonesta. That is the center of entertainment. You can walk to the sunset beach bar, Bliss, Club Q, Bamboo Bernies, and Sheri's cafe. There are some good restaurants right there at Pizza Pasta Trattoria, Moulin Fou, Terra, Bajatzu. I would avoid La Rosa Too.

new jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Single Female Traveler

Wow,

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Bobcat, I will check into those places and if I need to I will certainly get back to you.

As far as getting around, I only intended to use taxis at night and longer distances. I don't really like the beach at nite so I won't be doing that for sure.

And, being a single traveler, well if I wait for a companion, I may never go anywhere. I've traveled (state side) solo in the past and very much enjoyed myself. I am very careful and I do use common sense, but one can never be too careful, which is why I am looking to those who know what they're talking about.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single Female Traveler

Besides Maho, look into the Simpson Bay area. Bobcat gave you lots of choices there.

10. Re: Single Female Traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten