We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street food or anything we should try?

massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
8 reviews
10 helpful votes
Street food or anything we should try?

Looking for street food, snacks, or anything unique to PR that we should try. We’ll be in OSJ, Cabo Rojo and Luquillo. I’ve heard that Wendy’s served a coquito frosty and I remember a beach vendor selling delicious candy treats in Luquillo. Any other food/ drink recommendations appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
83 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Street food or anything we should try?

Bacalaitos, a cod fritter/pancake were my favorite. We also enjoyed arepas, mofongo (with shrimp in red sauce was my choice, but there are plenty of options), queso frito.

Powell, Ohio
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
13,854 posts
50 reviews
61 helpful votes
2. Re: Street food or anything we should try?

Alcapurrias (smashed green bananas stuffed with meat), conch salad, rellenos de papa (potato balls stuffed with meat), and of course, roasted pork and the traditional fixings at Guavate.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
83 reviews
25 helpful votes
3. Re: Street food or anything we should try?

How could I forget the pork in Guavate! Definitely take a ride there if you can.

Before one of my trips, I asked this forum for similar advice. Paris suggested if I ever passed a Krispy Kreme to order the guava (guayaba) donuts. Was it cream and guava? I forget, but they were delicious. You can't get them here.

Another suggestion - Puerto Rico has the best avocados! I had one stuffed with ceviche - yummo!!

Powell, Ohio
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
13,854 posts
50 reviews
61 helpful votes
4. Re: Street food or anything we should try?

@SDB4: Yep. Cream cheese and guava. That's actually a combination used on a number of local goodies: pastries, cakes, Swiss rolls, etc. Krispy Kreme honors the tradition deliciously.

Guava just makes everything better. Specially martinis. ;)

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
589 posts
56 reviews
61 helpful votes
5. Re: Street food or anything we should try?

Fish Tacos at La Cueva Del Mar on Calle Loiza

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
83 reviews
25 helpful votes
6. Re: Street food or anything we should try?

Sorry to take this a little off, but since our Puerto Rico trips, i now buy guava paste. We use it to spread on bagels and toasts, combine it with cheese and crackers, sometimes mixed with ice cream.

I also loved the passionfruit mojitos. Never tried the martini! Guess I have to make another trip :)

massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,372 posts
8 reviews
10 helpful votes
7. Re: Street food or anything we should try?

Thank you, added it all to my list !

Reply to: Street food or anything we should try?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.