We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Canadians- Budgeting due to very low dollar.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
All Canadians- Budgeting due to very low dollar.

Hi All

Dialogue time.

With the extremely low Canadian dollar now ( .60 cents vs US) is this going to change the way you spend your money in Negril and if so what will you do to make your money stretch to survive a trip that now is going to cost you 40% more to enjoy?

I think this is going to impact our ability to enjoy some things in Negril but how much I am not sure. I am sure it will impact everything from tips to trips.

Any tips on how to stretch the dollar would be appreciated too.

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
469 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: All Canadians- Budgeting due to very low dollar.

Use $Jam

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Canadians- Budgeting due to very low dollar.

Still works out to 40% more. The idea was to get some feed back on how you are going to make that dollar stretch to enjoy your trip as much as you may have in the past when the value was better.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Canadians- Budgeting due to very low dollar.

No, you'll save some percentage by using J.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
834 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Canadians- Budgeting due to very low dollar.

I think I will definitely seek out more restaurants outside the tourist areas, no splurging on dinners at Ivan's or The Houseboat. I will make a stop at a local grocery store and market to stock up on drinks, snacks and fruit. Also, I will bring refillable bottles to fill with drinks and freeze them or load them up with ice in advance of going out so I don't have to buy so many drinks. In the past some days I spent more money on cold drinks than on food! Obviously if I'm hanging out on the beach at a bar or restaurant in Negril I will purchase food and drinks there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
834 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Canadians- Budgeting due to very low dollar.

I am the first to admit that I am terrible with currency conversion and double check the rates. When I check the rates today $1.00 CDN = $85.37 JMD, $1.00 CDN = $0.71 USD, and $0.71 USD + $85.36 JMD. So, for Canadians there is no savings between using USD or JMD. I used www.xe.com for the conversion rates. Am

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Canadians- Budgeting due to very low dollar.

The savings comes in the fact that a lot of local businesses price their products, or food in both J and US. Many use a simple 100J/1US price structure. So by using J, you save about 20% (likkle less) on those type of purchases than if you had used CAD or US.

It won't help with hotel or airfare, just your day to day expenses.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
834 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All Canadians- Budgeting due to very low dollar.

Thanks TIMMAAY! Normally I use JMD, shop at local stores and go to local restaurants when I am there. Right now it is the hotel rates that are making the biggest difference in my Jamaican vacation budget.

Conception Bay...
Level Contributor
292 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Canadians- Budgeting due to very low dollar.

this is our delima as well this year considering we normally stay 8-12 weeks and rent a car this year we are cutting back our stay to only 7 weeks, but the place we stayed at last year (deep west end) raised their rates from $40 to $60, so we will be actively looking for a cheaper place, this trip hoping to find a place in the $600 per month range. I know they are out there just need to find them.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Canadians- Budgeting due to very low dollar.

Timmmay

You are actually mistaken about the 20% if we pay in Ja. Right now US gets more bang. In other words 1 dollar US gets you 120.Ja .1 dollar CDN gets you 85 dollars Ja. That's a 40% loss for us Canadians(40%increase in our costs) and you get 20% more bang for US dollars. We know we have to use JMD because we can't afford to take a double hit on exchange. The next place we take a kicking right now is when we negotiate with local vendors and we ask them to tell us what it is in JMD and they convert from US to JDM at a rate they want BTW. We could end up paying 50% more if we are not careful. The whole point of this post was to see what other Canadians like myself are going to do to try and enjoy our vacation with 40% less value than what we used to have. Not have a dialogue on the exchange itself.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All Canadians- Budgeting due to very low dollar.

YYZ

We are going to try the same........buy more at a store and take with us unless at actual bars and restaurants. Do you have any recommendations as to places to seek out? Also I will be looking for the happy hour places too.

NewfieGirl.........Only 7 weeks this time LOL. Try and look for a place called Rays Place? I think that's what it is called. I had friends stay there for a month last Feb. Bare bones but nice people and decent price.