We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Items to bring as gifts to Jamaica

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Items to bring as gifts to Jamaica

I believe that when you vacation in other peoples countries you should try to do some good while you are there. To this end, I try to bring gifts of items that aren't readily available in that country to the local people. I have been to Jamaica many times, but would like to know what is best to bring for local people. I go to Cuba and locals have told me that dental hygiene products are needed (toothpaste mostly); feminine hygiene products, ..etc. I see that most of these products are available at the Mega Mart in JA. Can anyone suggest items that would be useful to bring for locals?

43 replies to this topic
san antonio
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Items to bring as gifts to Jamaica

cash

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
1 review
2. Re: Items to bring as gifts to Jamaica

available and able to purchase are very different. even cheap stuff at the flea markets are hard for most.

Anything you bring will be much appreciated!!

I typically bring a few needed items, some fun extras and clothes (donated or mine) & cash.

here are a few ideas; small flashlights (power outages, crab hunting and night fishing), batteries-al sizes, black socks (most schools), deflated soccer, kick balls & pump, school supplies, anything "trendy" in style and even games; cards, toys-board games and books, hair products-hair bands, ties, beeds, combs. tooth brushes and hygiene supplies, lotions. Too heavy to carry but buying someone a large cooking oil from Mega Mart or local markets is needed and expensive for them.

Thanks

PEACE!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Items to bring as gifts to Jamaica

Thank you!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
13,419 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Items to bring as gifts to Jamaica

The quality of some products is so poor that even cash cannot help.

For families, I bring school backpacks, journey-style notebooks, pencils, pencil sharpeners, erasers, crayons, coloring books, compass (for drafting), soccer balls (deflated), inexpensive ipads-like (with WiFi) tablets. c and d sized batteries for their flashlights, ball point pens

For guys, oversized sports jerseys, nike hats, condoms (costco box)

For gals, quality body creams, foot cream, quality hair care products, chocolates

Jackson,NJ
Level Contributor
12,129 posts
191 reviews
5. Re: Items to bring as gifts to Jamaica

They love all items that are name brand.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Items to bring as gifts to Jamaica

I go to Costco or BJ's before our travels and purchase boxes of aspirin, (the boxes with the individual packets) Tylenol, band aides, etc. as well as all kinds of vegetable seeds. All of which are easy to pack and carry.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
15,131 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Items to bring as gifts to Jamaica

Jamaicans, especially the ones you are trying to help - don't go to MegaMart.

Dental Hygiene products are always helpful as are school supplies. If you are going to bring seeds for the garden make sure they are organic and non-GMO.

Donations can be made at a school, Mary Gate of Heaven Church or if you want to donate money to a place where it will be used specifically for the community donate to the Negril Rotary.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
231 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Items to bring as gifts to Jamaica

I'm bringing some good toiletries and nice bar soap for our hotel housekeeper in addition to the daily tip.

Kilgore, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Items to bring as gifts to Jamaica

Look at the web site "pack for a purpose"

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Items to bring as gifts to Jamaica

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!