We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How crowded does it get when cruise ship(s) are at port?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
28 reviews
How crowded does it get when cruise ship(s) are at port?

Question says it all. I've been to Negril and loved it, but I hesitate to go back because it's so far from excursions we are interested in doing and last time, we spent so much money on taxis to the cliffs for dinner and food, in general. I'm thinking about going to an AI in Ocho Rios this year, but I'm concerned about the cruise ships. I found a port schedule and it looks like at least 1 ship will be in port 5/6 days I plan to be there. So I ask, how busy/crowded can I expect Ocho Rios and my resort to become? I know that the falls get packed, but I'm talking day-passers at the resort, other excursions, and the shopping/restaurant area. Any info would be helpful :)

Wassi Art
Gift & Speciality Shops
KDK LoFt Jamaica
Gift & Speciality Shops
13 replies to this topic
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
33 reviews
11. Re: How crowded does it get when cruise ship(s) are at port?

Hehethefoodie - I have been at resorts quite a bit when cruise passengers have visited. I don't find them to be too much of an inconvenience because they usually don't arrive until mid to late morning, so we already have our spot on the beach or by the pool. Likely the biggest thing is the lineups are a bit longer at the bars and the quick serve restaurants - especially the ones that have jerk chicken. So, we just pick our times accordingly.

As for excursions, if there is one day that the ship isn't in port - DEFINATELY use that day as your excursion day. For excursions around Ocho - you will want to watch the ports of ocho rios and Falmouth. My husband and I have had great luck whenever we do excursions of doing the earliest possible time. For example, over Christmas, we went to the blue hole. Our resort pickup time was 7:15 and we were the only ones at the blue hole when we arrived - our family of 4 had the blue hole all to ourselves (it was awesome). In addition, it usually puts you back to the resort around lunchtime, so you still have the whole afternoon back at the resort.

If you happen to find yourself at a place like dunns river falls with a large amount of people, the best tip I have is to hang to the back of the group. The beginning and middle becomes quite congested.

Hope this helps! Have a great trip.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
57 reviews
12. Re: How crowded does it get when cruise ship(s) are at port?

was in ochi when 2 cruise ships came in- the outdoor market was practically empty- it is a a whole 5 minute walk from the usual shopping areas. I wouldn't hesitate to go to town because a ship came in.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
57 reviews
13. Re: How crowded does it get when cruise ship(s) are at port?

was in ochi when 2 cruise ships came in- the outdoor market was practically empty- it is a a whole 5 minute walk from the usual shopping areas. I wouldn't hesitate to go to town because a ship came in.

Reply to: How crowded does it get when cruise ship(s) are at port?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios