We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive

Lowell...
4 posts
Save Topic
All Inclusive

Is it worth it to get all inclusive. I am quoted over $1,000 more for all inclusive. I don't see me eating or drinking $1,000 in 4 days. Thanks Melinda

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive

Guess you answered your own question...but just to play devil's advocate, an all inclusive is WAY more than just the sum of your bar and food tab. Activities, inclusions, entertainment, most AIs have 'no tipping' policies, and cost certainty all play a role for those that like the AI concept. So if your view is strictly 'bar and food', well nobody would feel it's 'worth it'. Throw in all the other aspects that you paid for, and well, the proliferation of AIs in Jamaica and elsewhere indicate that indeed many feel AI is 'worth it'.

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive

To each his (or her) own...but I like to have the finances all taken care of up front, so that I can relax and not worry if I'll have enough money to get home. Hahaha...

Seriously, though..."worth it" is a very subjective thing.

Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive

I looked at non-AI for this years trip. Was going to cost about $900 for the hotel for 5 nights in Negril.

Then I added up food for 2 of us:

$100 per dinner per night

$25 per lunch per day

$25 for breakfast

Food = $750

Transportation to and from the hotel ~ $75 each way = $150

Scuba diving ~ $100/day for 4 days = $400

For this exercise I did not factor in tips, drinks, or excursions.

Total 'extras' = ~ $1300

Total W/ hotel = $2200

Total quote for AI in Negril - $1800

Savings by going AI - $400

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive

I'll echo Steve G's thoughts. It's not just that is might cost less, I really don't know if it costs more or less to go AI. it is an attitude difference that I like by going AI. I can be more adventurous in my choices. I can order a strange entrée at a restaurant and if I don't like it, no big deal. I'll get something else. Same with cocktails. I can try new things without risking extra dollars.

Part of it is knowing yourself. I know I would hesitate to have that extra beverage if I knew it was going to cost me another $4. With AI, there is no hesitation. If I want it, I just order it. That's how I want my vacation to be. I can't live like that all year, but I can for 1 week a year!

Edited: 20 April 2016, 07:38
Level Contributor
335 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive

In my view all inclusive gives you the piece of mind of not having to manage a budget while on vacation. I do eat and drink as much as I want, sometimes over indulge while I would be more cautious on how much I spend on food and drink without one. And although I hate when people waste any food, which does happen at all inclusives, I find that if you are really dissatisfied with what you ordered you can always get something else without reaching into your pocket.

We do tip and bring 100-150$ of ones but it is not expected, and at times will not bring much other cash at all.

Edited: 20 April 2016, 08:30
near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive

While I have traveled both AI and not AI, I don't find that there is much difference in cost. Sometimes the cost is equal to or more at a non AI that an AI.

You mention that the cost of AI was $1000 more. For four days that is $250 per day for two or $125 per day pp. I can't imagine you would spend less than that for all meals and drinks. Remember you are at a hotel and if you order a drink while lounging on the beach, you will pay hotel prices for the drink. Even if your drink is not alcoholic (say a Pepsi) you will be paying premium price for that Pepsi because you are at a hotel.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive

Great points by all...especially max. You would be surprised at just how easy it is to spend well over $100 a day for each person when on vacation. Think about the cost of each breakfast, lunch, dinner, tips, housekeeping tips, drinks,coffee, beverages, and activities. Wanna go snorkeling? thats an extra cost per person, glass bottom boats....kayaks, live music, etc. You will be paying for everything separate and also have to keep track of the budget while doing so. When choosing an AI you can arrive and put your wallet away and have a true vacation.

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive

A location with a lot of variety allows you to spend whatever you feel is appropriate for your budget. In Negril for instance, many hotels offer an "American" breakfast for about $5. Lunch can be about $5-10. Happy hour specials are often 2for 1 for about $4. Dinner can be about $10+. Buy a case of wata and red stripe, some rum, and keep it in your room and you're good to go. It all depends on what you wan to spend. In that way, non AI can save you a bundle in a town like Negril. Plus, there is so much to see and do that is free or low cost. And route taxis are just under $2 per person per route. I would do a serious cost analysis if you really want to break it down. If that is overwhelming, perhaps consider a hotel like grand pineapple where you can have the basic AI as a "back up" but not break the bank so you can spend off resort to get a feel for what things actually cost- which isn't a lot, unless you go for a fancy dinner cause you want to.

9. Re: All Inclusive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2017, 17:17