We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single at the Bahia

Chicago, IL
9 posts
Save Topic
single at the Bahia

Single gal traveling the end of March to Bahia... Any suggestions or comments on safety & fun for me?

CT
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: single at the Bahia

Hi freespirit -

when are you going? I am also a single female, traveling March 31-April 4th. I have my flight to Punta Cana, and am about to book the resort. I was debating between Bahaia Principe and the Barcelo Bavaro Beach/Caribe (this is actually a 4-in 1 resort, and you can use the facilities at any of them). I just spent quite a bit of time on the phone with a travel agent, and it sounds like you can't miss with either resort. Lots of people are giving the Bahia great reviews.

Ultimately, I think I am going to go with the Barcelo because it is much larger and my travel agent said that there's more to do there.. just the size of it would increase my chances of finding other single people there my age (I'm 29). Sounds like there's more bars, and there's 3 discos on the Barcelo property... one of which is supposed to get pretty lively. He's the 3rd travel agent to recommend this resort as the best for a single traveler who doesn't want to be surrounded by all families or couples. I've had a hard time finding information or getting responses on which resort is best for a single traveler, so if you come across or hear anything, I'd love to hear it - especially if you know something on the Bahia that I don't! Also, let me know when you're going - maybe we could meet up for a cocktail. :)

Chicago, IL
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: single at the Bahia

I'm going 3/27-3/31.

I've read quite a few reviews of Bahia (both good & bad) so, I'm giving it a go. I usually don't have a problem finding single or couples to have fun with; pretty easy going. I'm 33 and travel on my own fairly regular. This is my first time to DR so, that's why I was asking...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: single at the Bahia

Hey Gals. I recently returned from the DR, and can truthfully say that I never felt unsafe while travelling on my own. Just be mindful of the male staff who can be quite persistant in inviting you out. (I was hit on by the guide on the bus ride over to the resort, and the bellboy asked me to come home to Santo Domingo with him- all in my first hour in the Country!) Be prepared, as you will frequently be asked "why you are alone because you are so beautiful", that and demanding to know what is wrong with the men back in my country. I had a nice laugh with that one!

Personally, I did several excursions on my own without issue. There are always people around to chat with if you feel like it, and plenty of solitude if you want that too. I'd always bring a book with me to the a la cartes if I was going alone to pass the time.

I've travelled a lot on my own too, and I truthfully thought going to an AI alone may be a bit weird, but I enjoyed every minute of it and wouldn't hesitiate to do it again. In fact, I'm already mentally booked for this fall!

Hope that helps. Any + ?'s, just post.

:-)

Chicago, IL
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: single at the Bahia

work2travel

Let me ask you this... Where there many singles around?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: single at the Bahia

Yes freespirit1331, there were some, but truthfully were quite a bit older, okay A LOT older. Also, there were more male single travellers than female, significantly more, being that I was the only solo female I saw.

Aurora, Ohio
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: single at the Bahia

Hi - just read your post and I am single also and just getting ready to book at the Bahia - same dates. Have you received any positive feedback that it is safe for a single woman in this resort ???

Chicago, IL
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: single at the Bahia

So this could definitely be an intersting trip - being a single gal. As for being safe; I've heard a lot of positve notes on it.

Vancouver
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: single at the Bahia

We're two single girls going to stay at the Bahia from March 22 - 29...hoping to hook up with other singles. Hopefully there will be some cute men there.... See you soon!

Chicago, IL
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: single at the Bahia

Well Nicolenicole - I look forward to running into you at either the beach, bar or disco...

Krystine

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
479 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: single at the Bahia

One other thing I forgot to mention:

In my experience, the guests are usually older when you stay at 4*/+ Resorts. This could be due to younger people not being to afford it, or just maybe not being as particular as more "seasoned" travelers.

You will find way more young/single people at resorts like the LTI, Bavaro Ocean Villas, etc.