We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single cigars

West Koot.BC
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
single cigars

First off, I don't smoke cigars. I have a couple friends requesting a cigar from Cuba. Can I buy them in singles?( I hear everyone talking about a box of cigars) I don't need a whole box. Where would be the best place, Brand name for a decent one and about how much should I be paying?Thanks.

halifax
Level Contributor
225 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: single cigars

i purchased singles at the resort and they also suggested the government shops off resort as these are authentic and buying them anywhere else is asking for trouble as you can pay alot and get banana leaves the ones i bought were monte crisco and another with one name sorry can't remember hope this helps

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: single cigars

Here's what I would do if I were you.

LCDH store or if your resort has a good hunmidor is a good place for you to buy. (La Casa Del Habano) For singles, I would probably buy individually tubed cigars, it will be less work for you to keep them from drying out.

H.Upmann Coronas Major is a decent cigar, not too expensive. (about 3 - 6 cucs each)

Also, Bolivar No.1, about 5 -8 cucs each.

Bring a large zip lock bag, and buy them on your last day or toward the end of your vacation. Do not buy them on the street - you will get fakes!

Put a piece of paper towel with just a few drops of water (not wet or they will mildew) in the bag with them.

This web site will give you the address for the stores in Varadero.

http://marty.514crew.com

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
646 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: single cigars

I'm not sure what other resort prices are like but we found Sandals expensive. We bought ours at a government shop in Havana that was recommended by our tour guide. We then found them for even cheaper at the duty free shop at the airport.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: single cigars

There is a huge variety of cigars sold individually from small to the huge Churchills. If they are for a friend ask them what they would like first. There are books and magazines you can get from the library on cigars or do a search in the above box for many fine examples.

No matter what you pay down there, it is a fraction of what you would pay at home.

And yes buy at a gov't store or at the airport.

West Koot.BC
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: single cigars

Thank-you everyone for educating me on cigars! The website in one of the above posts was very helpful as well. Thanks again...we leave in 9 more sleeps!!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: single cigars

You're welcome.

Have a great vacation!

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: single cigars

Hey,

One more thing...macdon is bang on about price. Stick price is usually a little more than box price, but nowhere near "Canadian" price.

Here's a site close to your home so you can compare and get a feel for the difference.

vancouvercigar.com/sites/vancouvercigar/file…

Surrey, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: single cigars

My fiancee and I both bought a box each of Monte Cristo's and the large Cohiba's from lifeguards at our hotel (Club Puntarena)for $70 CP each. As we were not selling them at home and thought they could be fake we did look at them before we gave them the money and they looked great. Brought them home and I smoked one of the Cohiba's and it was very good. Even though they may be fake they are still Cuban cigars and better than anything you can buy here. I would suggest still buying them at the Govt store and Cohiba's are the best cigar you can get.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: single cigars

For cigar information, check at the library for a book "Cigar Companion by Marvin R. Shanken"

He also is or was the editor and publisher of a magazine called "Cigar Aficionado"

He explains and rates cigars but also gives all kinds of information from how they are made to how to smoke and store them.

There are many Cuban brands listed in this book.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: single cigars

If you take a Catamaran Cruise to Cayo Blanco the bar there has GREAT cigars. They were one of the best I smoked in Cuba, and only cost 1 CUC each.