We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All beaches public? And using your own Sun Loungers

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
All beaches public? And using your own Sun Loungers

.Hi All. We are coming to Barbados next month. Cant Wait!! We are staying at All Seasons Europa Holetown. We have been a couple of times before but this time we are bringing Sun Beds with us. I know that all beaches are public and "the high water tide line bit" but say for example we put our beds up on a beach like Sandy Lane (among others that we will visit) above this high water tide mark by the trees for shade etc will property owners moan and want to move us on or can they if the whole beach is public? This is where i am not sure? Do the guys on the beach with the beds get annoyed if you come along and put your own beds up near there`s. I`m not intending on offending peoples property or business just want to use our own chairs (save a bit of money for more beer :-) and wondered if anyone has done a similar thing? Happy to hire a umbrella if this makes the guys with chairs more receptive. Finally can we get on the buses with them?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: All beaches public? And using your own Sun Loungers

Well we are staying in Holetown starting this coming Sunday until the following Sunday and we ended up buying small foldable beach chairs to pack in our suitcase. I plan on bringing them to the beach with me. I will let you know how it goes!

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,444 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: All beaches public? And using your own Sun Loungers

I don;t know about the situation at Sandy Lane other than I don';t think they would try to rent you an umbrella - the beach equipment is strictly for use by their guests....

As for the "highwatermark" Sandy Lane is different from most beaches in that there is an area above the Highwatermark that they Own (the area where they have Cabanas comes to mind)- the* foreshore* on all beaches is Public - on Most beaches the area above the Highwatermark May Be Privately owned (this is a grey area) - But Most places ignore that and allow other people to sit and walk there- - However if it is officially Privately owned there could be objections.... So on Sandy Lane - suggest you do NOT put your beach chairs near their cabanas etc

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: All beaches public? And using your own Sun Loungers

Thanks VT. it's appreciated. Also thanks Anothersadowner for the input. I will try not to put the chairs in an obviously annoying place as you suggest. I agree The water mark on some beaches are different to others. I just remember on some beaches it's near the water itself and then there's the rest of the beach which is in turn then technically not public so just wondered how people generally feel about this. Don't want to upset anyone but also realise I am a not local so just want a bit of advice really on where it's possible to put the beds.

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,444 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: All beaches public? And using your own Sun Loungers

The "HighWaterMark" is a Legal definition as I understand - Not necessarily the line which shows up "today - next week etc" - Not sure exactly - but it may be the line which has been measured at some particular time or date in the past and is now Officially the "Mark" -

Anyhow - re Sandy Lane - the area around the cabanas is Definitely NOT Public.... it is Privately owned.

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: All beaches public? And using your own Sun Loungers

I no at Sandy Lane those paying thousands to stay there wouldn't appreciate me Rocking up with my own beds and putting them right next to them.. ha ha. I will be discreet but just don't want to offend locals who rent the beds or homeowners but would like to just put our beds down on the beach and relax without comments or looks..

Palm Beach Condos...
Level Contributor
16,444 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: All beaches public? And using your own Sun Loungers

You wont offend beach vendors re beachbeds on Sandy Lane - None there !!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,735 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: All beaches public? And using your own Sun Loungers

On Sandy Lane Beach there is lots of space for you to " camp" at the north end of the beach. No one should bother you as you are well away from S L beach loungers there.

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: All beaches public? And using your own Sun Loungers

Thanks Westiegal3. Is the public entrance to the beach at the south end of Sandy Lane Beach?

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,735 posts
72 reviews
9. Re: All beaches public? And using your own Sun Loungers

Now THAT is your biggest problem ! I cannot swear to this but I don't believe there is direct public beach access on Sandy Lane. I think you probably have to either access the beach just south of the Beach House in Holetown and walk the boardwalk to Beachlands ( there was an access off the boardwalk further down, there but it said " no access" last time I noticed , although it wasn't closed off ) Then walk around Divi Heritage, past the Club Barbados and onto Sandy Lane , but this can only be done at low tide. You can also access Paynes Bay right next to One Sandy Lane and walk round to Sandy Lane . Again at low tide I suspect.

The easiest way ( unless I have missed an access ) is by sea---------------so why not ask a couple of jet ski drivers to drop you off at Sandy Lane.if what you are carrying is not too cumbersome .

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: All beaches public? And using your own Sun Loungers

Thanks Westiegal3. Could try the jet skis if we get stuck. I read somewhere you could get to Sandy Lane beach through a public access next to Sandy Lane 1 but I may be wrong.. Perhaps that is the access to Paynes Bay instead and you need to walk around the coast line at low tide.. Are there any other must visit beaches near to Hometown? We stayed last time at Dover and went as far north as Accra beach so not been north of there..