We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How easy is it getting around out there with no car rental?

1 post
How easy is it getting around out there with no car rental?

I’m planning a trip at the end of June. What are my best option for exploring without renting a car? Are there cabs/Uber’s?

18 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
19 reviews
11. Re: How easy is it getting around out there with no car rental?

Never rented a vehicle.....we both like to drink...I am on holidays and hence do not want to worry about drinking and driving.....we stay at Marriott Time shares and great restaurants all within walking distance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
9 reviews
12. Re: How easy is it getting around out there with no car rental?

You don’t need a car. There are plenty of taxis available. We like having a car so we rent one but there are days we don’t even use it. We often take taxis at night so we don’t Have to worry about drinking & driving. If you are trying to save some money, it’s an easy thing to do without.

Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
477 posts
105 reviews
13. Re: How easy is it getting around out there with no car rental?

We would not go on vacation without renting a car. One of the reasons we like Aruba is that it is very easy and safe to explore the island. For the cost of renting if you want to see the island consider a small rental car, it will be under $50 a day including gas.

Enjoy!

new york
Level Contributor
585 posts
224 reviews
14. Re: How easy is it getting around out there with no car rental?

Good evening- for us part of the concept of being on vacation means few responsibilities- such as not having to park a car. We stay at the Marriott Stellaris in Palm Beach and taxis are plentiful. We can walk to certain places and grab a taxi to go downtown or to Irasquin Blvd. Taxi drivers have a plethora of information- they have helped us know the Island better. Whatever you decide to do, have a great trip!

MD
Level Contributor
801 posts
4 reviews
15. Re: How easy is it getting around out there with no car rental?

Yeah don't get me wrong, you can easily get around without renting a car, it's just not my preferred method because we like to explore and be able to do so at our own pace. The extra $200 or whatever is way worth it for a week of having that comfort.

As for grocery store trips, I'm not talking about doing weekly shopping with full baskets. I'm talking about going and getting a bottle of liquor, a case of beer, some mixers, and some snacks and fruits. I prefer to make my own cocktails with as much liquor in them as I please for a fraction of the cost. We got bread and lunch meat last time to make sandwiches to bring with us to Baby Beach. I also like the little food court there and it's great for breakfast. It's literally a 5 minute drive from where we stay too since we've been at the Oceania the past few times.

Having our own car makes having beach days at non-resort beaches a breeze since we can bring our cooler with our own drinks/food, can bring our own chairs, etc. No way we could do that at Boca Catalina or Arashi if we didn't have a car. And a trip to Aruba wouldn't be the same to me without a beach day at Baby Beach, which isn't really feasible with a taxi.

If you plan on staying in the hotel areas and going to normal restaurants, and don't plan on going many places, there's not really a need for a car.

Sudbury, Canada
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
86 reviews
16. Re: How easy is it getting around out there with no car rental?

Where are you staying? We usually rent for 2 days, but this year we stayed in Oranjestad, so had a car for the whole 10 days, so we could get to the beach every day.

Buenos Aires...
2 posts
2 reviews
17. Re: How easy is it getting around out there with no car rental?

No uber and expensive taxis.

You can walk easily depending on where are you staying.

There is the arubus, usd 2.70 and white vans usd2 that cover the basic routes: palm-eagle beach-oranjestad.

The trickiest for me was going from eagle beach to baby beach bcause you have to take 2 vans/arubus and 1 arubus (san nicolas-baby beach.

I walked most of the time, but i like to walk, distances between places are quite long and dark at night, but the island is super safe its just better to go with someone.

Yarmouth Port...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
12 reviews
18. Re: How easy is it getting around out there with no car rental?

We have always rented a car. We like to go to different breakfast places and eat out ever night. There is always a designated driver. I take a soft sided cooler with frozen water bottles every night, to take the food I don't eat back to the timeshare.I tend to eat salad and dessert and enjoy the main course for lunch the next day.

For us we just like to get up and go whenever. I am impatient and don't like waiting for a taxi or a bus but I understand it works for others. To each his own.

Reply to: How easy is it getting around out there with no car rental?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted