We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aruba January "hell week"

2 posts
Aruba January "hell week"

My husband and I are traveling to Aruba, staying at the surf club 1/12/17-1/19/17. Unfortunately I guess I did not do my research, and am only now finding out about "hell week." I am definitely the type of person that this will ruin my vacation. We are a young couple in our late 20s just looking to get away, relax, have fun. I would like to know 1. Are all the stories really true? Is it really THAT bad or is some of it an exaggeration?, and 2. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid this/them all together??? Ugh thanks in advance.

66 replies to this topic
Hull, Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Aruba January "hell week"

I haven't heard much in the last couple of years. It seemed very bad for a few years there and people were warned consistently. If you do a search here and on the Aruba forums, I don't think you'll find any complaints for last year for instance. In the past, I definitely would have stayed elsewhere.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,680 posts
90 reviews
2. Re: Aruba January "hell week"

Yes, the stories are true and yes, it really is that bad. It normally takes place around the 3rd week of January.

The only way to avoid it is to not stay at one of the Marriott properties or change your dates. If you're staying at any other resort or hotel you'll be fine. It is generally contained to the Marriott properties.

Dartmouth...
Level Contributor
490 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Aruba January "hell week"

What is Hell Week?

Boston
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Aruba January "hell week"

yes sorry to say it is brutal...no way to sugar-coat it

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
103 posts
5. Re: Aruba January "hell week"

What is Hell Week???? Never heard of it.

new york
Level Contributor
585 posts
225 reviews
6. Re: Aruba January "hell week"

Hell week tends to correspond with New York State Regents week- these are State-wise exams that are given to Public High School students. My understanding is that some private schools in the state do not give these exams and are closed during those dates. These students and their families have rented or own Time Shares at the Marriott Properties and arrive 'en masse' with very little supervision of their children/teens . I agree with the person who suggested that you might want to stay elsewhere. Good luck and either way you are sure to have a wonderful time because Aruba is amazing! Also keep in mind that Aruba beaches are public. so perhaps you could venture out maybe to Eagle Beach if your place gets annoying

Riverside, Rhode...
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Aruba January "hell week"

we go to bucuti to avoid even a 1 percent chance of having our vacation in paradise affected.

Boston...
Level Contributor
367 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Aruba January "hell week"

You may be fine with your dates. Hell week occurs (for the most part) during the same week as the New York Regents. According to this link It appears that the NY Regents are held the wk after you leave in 2017 …nysed.gov/assessment/…regents-117.pdf. I would call the hotel to confirm though.

NJ
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
59 reviews
9. Re: Aruba January "hell week"

Sorry to say, but I don't think the hotel would tell you anything.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
5,554 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Aruba January "hell week"

I agree with the hotel not saying a word about who their guests are. The rumors are true and hell week is aptly named.

Reply to: Aruba January "hell week"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted