We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clamming on Oregon Coast

5 posts
Clamming on Oregon Coast

Hi everyone. My wife and I (both mid 30's) will be traveling to Oregon for the first time on 10/6-10/15. We are both semi fit and both live in Hawaii.

We plan to stay on the coast (Astoria to Dunes NP) for 4 full days (10/7-10/10) and drive back to Portland on 10/11.

My initial plan was to drive to Astoria on 10/6 after arriving at PDX. On 10/7 we was planing to get up early start to visit Astoria, Seaside, Ecola State Park, Cannon Beach, and Oswald West State Park and spending night in Manzanita before heading down the coast.

However, my wife wants to try out clamming and it seems clamming is best near seaside. The low tide for 10/7 is at 6pm at 0.3. The low tide on 10/8 is -0.4 at 6:30am.

My question is:

Is 0.3 a low enough tide to go clamming? If it is not, I'm thinking about staying overnight in seaside to get up early and try clamming on the low tide on 10/8. A problem I see with clamming on 10/8 is we would not have a place to cook or clean any clams we possibly catch. Is there anyplace that would do this for a fee? Would people advise on just skipping clamming all together or possible hire a guide? If there is a guide, would anybody be able to recommend someone?

Thank you in advance.

12 replies to this topic
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
1 review
1. Re: Clamming on Oregon Coast

Welcome,

Theres RAZOR clamming and then the other - bay clams/mussels.

Younmay want to research what is what.

https://www.dfw.state.or.us

There are fee/licensing and limits for both.

Be aware of RED TIDE . If its restricted due to this dont play games with it. Its POISON. Anp heed notices.

You will want to clean them. If you leave them in clear seawater, they will clean alot of sand from them. But you will want knife to clean/gut the. Same with razors. But

You need special shovels or clam gun to get razors.

If you are there try sone dungeness crab. I love it.

Good luck

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Clamming on Oregon Coast

rc gives great advice- also this website is great

http://www.razorclamming.com/

Level Contributor
39,028 posts
1,014 reviews
3. Re: Clamming on Oregon Coast

If you stay at Tides By The Sea, the units have small kitchens where you could cook them. You can walk out there for clamming, we love razor clams... have fun! 🏖

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,931 posts
200 reviews
4. Re: Clamming on Oregon Coast

Generally, you should start about an hour before low tide as the tide is still ebbing. Remember, at low tide the tide will start coming in again.

I haven't checked sunset time on that date, but it will be getting dark earlier by then.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,465 posts
1,110 reviews
5. Re: Clamming on Oregon Coast

If you are thinking of a guide, there is this very experienced fellow on the central coast near Waldport:

https://captainclameron.com/

The central coast has excellent clamming, by the way :-)

You must have a shellfish license:

https:/…licenses_fees.asp (click shellfish license fees)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Clamming on Oregon Coast

Oregonpoppa makes a good point about sunrise and sunset times. We’re on the north coast this weekend, and were out of bed at 6:30 this morning. Morning had somewhat dawned but the sun hadn’t yet risen. So I just checked the sunrise/sunset calendar for this location; sunset on the 7th is 6:46 pm, but sunrise on the 8th isn’t until 7:22 am, so it’s likely to still be pretty dark at low tide that morning.

Take it from me; there’s a skill to clamming. So unless you’re with a guide, you’re likely to get skunked the first time out, even with the best of tides. And .3 isn’t very low. On the plus side, getting skunked saves having to worry about finding a place to clean the clams. 😏

My advice? I think you’d have better luck crabbing, and for most, Dungeness crab is way better tasting than razor clams, and certainly better than the crab you have at home.

Edited: 16 September 2018, 09:17
Level Contributor
39,028 posts
1,014 reviews
7. Re: Clamming on Oregon Coast

You canget a license at Bud’s RV in Gearhart, just a few minutes away from Seaside. My husband and son are getting ready to fish for Chinook now.. razor clamming tomorrow! 🏖🐟🏖🐟

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Clamming on Oregon Coast

mg- good point - razor clamming does require a bit of technique compared to others. people always look at me funny when I say clams actually move pretty fast! LO:L crabbing might be easier and better tasting.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,292 posts
1 review
9. Re: Clamming on Oregon Coast

Im back

You maybe able to rent your gear for razors. But a word of adfvise, they are not called razors for nothing.

The bay clams are in my opinion a piece of cake. We used a garden implement i forget the name but it looks like a comb with a handle.... You start digging a hole in a bay usually and in mud and clams appear. You usually will see a hole and when stomping next to it water will shoot out. Thats how we did it. But trying to get just one type of clam baffeled me since you would get a variety in one hole.

I started out young when pops wanted to go claming. I was too young to dig, but i had 2 eyes to find clam holes and mark them for my parents. In dry sand they were easy but in the surf you had to be quick and dig.

For what its worth we were out there before sunrise in shorts and gas lanterns.

If you are lucky you maybe able to get some fresh clans at the local restaurants, but ask if local caught.

Worse case try sone however you can.

Also, dont forget about oysters too

One other thing. If there is any clamming going on, go out and watch. Just let them know you are tourist and want to see how and what they are digging.

Good luck

Edited: 16 September 2018, 12:27
5 posts
10. Re: Clamming on Oregon Coast

Hi everybody,

Thank you for all you replies. Much appreciated. I will look into all your suggestions.

Reply to: Clamming on Oregon Coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast