We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route - Custer St Park to Signal Mtn Lodge

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
242 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best Route - Custer St Park to Signal Mtn Lodge

Hello -

We are doing a roadtrip, leaving 6/4 from Chicago to Yellowstone.

Along the way, we'll be visiting some of the sights in S. Dakota and staying at the cabins in Custer St Park. From there, we'll head to Signal Mtn Lodge for a short GTNP visit.

Does anyone have any route suggestions that is both efficient and would provide us with some great scenery? We're willing to make some short stops along the way but don't want to dally too long in order to get to Signal and get settled before dinner.

Also, is there anywhere we can stop along this route to re-stock our grocery and beverage supply? We were planning on making a trip into Jackson on one of our days at Signal, but if there is something along a route that we are already going, that would be great.

Thanks in advance! We can't wait to hit the road!

Tammy

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,277 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route - Custer St Park to Signal Mtn Lodge

We've made that trip before but stopped in Cody before heading on to YNP and GT. There is a large Walmart in Cody where you can get groceries and supplies. We took I-90 then to Cody and then to east entrance of YNP and south by Fishing Bridge and Grant Village toward the Grand Tetons.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route - Custer St Park to Signal Mtn Lodge

If I get it right, you will be visiting GTNP before Yellowstone. In that case you could drive from Custer to Lusk, to Casper and via Lander to Moran Junction and Signal Mountain Lodge. That will be a long day but faster than driving via Cody. If it's too far you could stay for the night in Lander and stock up there. The stretch from Lander via Dubois to Moran Junction is very scenic. If you go Yellowstone first I head for Cody that day first (also a long drive from Custer.) Between BH SD and Cody there also is Devils Tower NM worth a visit but it takes at least a couple of extra hours.

Tet

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
242 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route - Custer St Park to Signal Mtn Lodge

Thanks for the replies so far!

Sorry, I should have been more clear onour itinerary. Yes, we are going to GTNP before we go to Yellowstone. We have lodging reservations for those nights. I know it probably makes more sense to do it the other way but I've been unable to change our reservations.

We won't be able to stay in Lander since we have reservations at Signal Mtn Lodge, however, it sounds like it would be a good grocery stop. We don't need anything major - just snacks, sandwich fixins, and beverages.

Thanks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route - Custer St Park to Signal Mtn Lodge

I do think your best bet will be to drive as I mentioned before but count on app. 9 hours between Custer SP and Signal Mountain Lodge. You won't get to Lander but you can stock-up in nearby Riverton at Walmart along us26 seibertron.com/sightings/stores/store.php…

Have e great trip!

5. Re: Best Route - Custer St Park to Signal Mtn Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 19:28
Get answers to your questions about Grand Teton National...