We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single female interested in Taino history music

Morgan Hill...
2 posts
Single female interested in Taino history music

I will be spending my 50th bday in Puerto Rico - adopted and no nothing of my mothers history other then born in Manata Puerto Rico - main purpose of trip to explore Taino history listen to live music and see native art

Any ideas for where to stay - where to go appreciated

Flying into San Juan but plan on exploring entire island

5 replies to this topic
Humacao, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
543 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Single female interested in Taino history music

Welcome to the Island. Manati is on the north side of the Island. Don't expect to find a indlan community or something as on Central America. The Tainos were exterminated more than 500 hundreds years ago and what remains is a part of their blood on our blood, words, food and some archaelogical sites. You can go to Jayuya (a long trip to the center of the Island) where they have a museum, a river site La Piedra Escrita where you can see petroglyph they celebrate a Festival Indigena in November. Puerto Rico have a rich history, mostly from the spaniard influence. Visit Old San Juan, El Yunque.

Humacao, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
543 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Single female interested in Taino history music

You can also visit the Centro Ceremonial Indigena in Utuado and Tibes in Ponce. In the University of Puerto Rico in Rio Piedras Campus they hava museum with one of the major collection of Taino artifacts in the Island. At Manati you can visit Mar Chiquita and Hacienda la Esperanza one of the properties of Fideicomiso de Puerto Rico (you'll need a reservation they have tours on english) I recommend a visit to all their properties.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
9,388 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Single female interested in Taino history music

How long are you staying? Which area on the island are you planning to stay? Are you looking to stay in the touristic areas or outside San Juan? Give us some information about yourself so we can help with you.

As mentioned above, there aren't any taínos on the island. However, the sites suggested are a great way to learn about them. You can also read about them online if you Google the word "taíno".

I also suggest researching PR as well. It's a pretty big island and everything is spread out. Researching it wil allow you to see the layout and help you choose the best location for you.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Single female interested in Taino history music

There are actually many Taino and pre-Columbian sites around PR. I love finding the petroglyphs sites. Besides the sites mentioned above, Cueva del Indio is amazing. Many of the caves and rivers in PR have the "art" carved into rocks. There are also pictographs on rocks, mostly in caves.

In Comerio in June there is a big festival that celebrates the Taino culture at the Cueva de La Mora.Music and dancing and some of the local "Tanos" take part. And Las Piedras municipal has a nice (free) tour out to the taino cave in their town.

Taino music....not so much as that part of the culture was not preserved.

Bayamón, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
627 posts
1 review
5. Re: Single female interested in Taino history music

The largest taíno celebration here is Festival Indígena in the town of Jayuya in November. Do not expect actual taínos. They got extinct long ago.

If you visit before that your best bet is Tibes Ceremonial Park in Ponce. There are news reports on the other one in Utuado alerting about its lack of maintenance,

Questions? Ask!

Juan Carlos Ortega

Puerto Rico

Reply to: Single female interested in Taino history music
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arecibo