We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving between Catania and scopello/ Castellmmare del Golfo

London, United...
3 posts
driving between Catania and scopello/ Castellmmare del Golfo

Hi, We're family of four and arriving at Catania airport on the 20th Aug and planning to stay somewhere around Castellmmare del Golfo or Scopello for a week before travelling back to Taormina for another week.

1- I'd like to avoid winding mountainous roads as much as it's possible. Is A19 less narrow and scary! i know the scenery is beautiful in winding roads but like to keep my heart rate and children screaming at the back of the car as low as possible.

2- I haven't booked anywhere yet for the first week . Apart from castellmmare Del Golfo and Scopello which I'm finding difficult to find self catering accommodation, where else would you suggest to stay and explore around

Many thanks

Jaleh

1 reply
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,767 posts
1. Re: driving between Catania and scopello/ Castellmmare del Golfo

Hi again jaleh208,

The A19, the interior autostrada (motorway) is a good, fast, and easy road to drive, and your optimal route from Aeroporto Catania to Castellammare del Golfo.

Just note however, that you would drive Palermo's ring road. This road is Viale Regione Siciliana, and it bypasses Palermo itself, but it's still optimal to avoid busy times, and avoid driving the road from 7-10, 13-14, and 17-21.

If also departing from Aeroporto Catania, then your second base would optimally be back in Eastern Sicily, so perhaps consider the area around Ragusa or Siracusa provinces, but even Cefalù or Giardini Naxos if you'd like a beach resort town, and depending on your departing flight schedule.

Vagabonda

Reply to: driving between Catania and scopello/ Castellmmare del Golfo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Scopello