We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Botaira Beach Resort - some questions

Melbourne
8 posts
Botaira Beach Resort - some questions

Hi,

Am looking at botaira beach resort destination and would like to hear from people that have visited recently. There are only about half a dozen reviews from the past six months or so so hopefully this excellent forum can be of assistance.

I am interested in what the reef is like post-cycone - is the coral and fish life abundant? What are the meals like at this resort and are activities followed through with (if there are any)?

Also is it easy to organise manta ray swims if visiting in-season? I have emailed the resort with a few questions but am finding getting satisfying responses difficult.

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
13,884 posts
139 reviews
331 helpful votes
1. Re: Botaira Beach Resort - some questions

We have just returned from Botaira. The reef was undamaged and is very healthy with lots of new growth. It is a marine sanctuary and the southern end of the reef is amazing with so much to see. All the reef is good , the southern part seems to have had a growth spurt and is looking so good and lots of varieties of fish everywhere. Don't miss the giant clams out front of the resort on the edge of the reef. We saw baby sharks in the shallows in front of the deck at low tide, quite harmless but fun to watch. Yes the Manta Rays are there and daily trips were organized to snorkel with them, the timing is dependent on the tides as they feed at the change of tide and this seems to be the best times to get up close to them. We have been to Botaira many times and just keep going back, wonderful people. They do experience internet difficulties at times on the island. Have a great holiday.

Melbourne
8 posts
2. Re: Botaira Beach Resort - some questions

Thanks so much Barb for your reply, exactly the information I was after and it sounds like you had a great trip. I really enjoyed reading your review as well!

If it's not too much trouble I have a few more questions:

Have you dived at Botaira? If so, what is the operation like, I believe it is run off-site by Reef Safari? Are the manta ray trips expensive and easily organised?

Also, how did you find the food, can you give some examples of what was provided? Do we need to take our own snacks given there isn't a menu so to speak or are you fed good sized meals?

Thanks

Edited: 11 years ago
Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
13,884 posts
139 reviews
331 helpful votes
3. Re: Botaira Beach Resort - some questions

Hi Sundaybest....

My husband is the diver, the dive operation operates from Manta Ray resort who come and pick you up and bring you back, about a 5 min. trip at no extra cost. There are quite a few dive sites some with swim throughs,lots of big fish, interesting. Trips to Manta Rays well priced think around F$20. Trips are orgainised daily when the Manta's are around, it is a tide dependent thing as they feed when the current is strong. Meals are very generous in size, too much for me, there is fish, lamb, chicken and steak,salads, wraps, hamburgers and at breakfast fruit, cereal, and hot food. Lunch is just one course but 3 courses at dinner. Afternoon tea with freshly baked cake too. If you take snacks, we haven't found this necessary, make sure you keep them in the fridge or somewhere well sealed as being o a lush island failure to do so will attract bush rats. This pretty much applys to most of the remote island resorts. We don't have issues. The reef and snorkeling is amazing off the beach. Botaira is an unpretentious resort, Fijian owned and run. Hope you enjoy it too.

Melbourne
8 posts
4. Re: Botaira Beach Resort - some questions

Great to hear Hooked On Fiji, thanks again for your comments.

Reply to: Botaira Beach Resort - some questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Naviti Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.